This Day In Mets Infamy With Rusty: The “Songs That Best Describe The Mets” Edition
In today’s ever changing world, the art form of music is extremely important. Classical Music calms us down, Hard Rock and Hip Hop can give us a feeling of angst as well as euphoria , Adult Contemporary can make us contemplative and this new pop//techno//Bieber style is just well….. CRAP !
But the type of music a ballplayer uses when he steps up to the plate or runs out to the mound is rather important as well. It can create a feeling of fear or anxiety to the opposing batter/pitcher. This is sometimes purposeful – case in point the use of the Metallica song “Enter Sandman” as Mariano Rivera‘s intro song. If you are a batter and you hear that song , well you know you have a Sisyphean task ahead of you.
Oftentimes their musical choice is just a play on their name or personality, and yes sometimes they mean absolutely nothing at all… But not in this exercise…
I now present you with my list of songs that our current Mets players should be using as their walk up/intro music:
David Wright should be walking up to the strains of “I’m Your Captain” by Grand Funk.
Middle reliever, Scott Atchinson should enter the game to “Old Man” by Neil Young.
The recently promoted Travis d’Arnaud should use “New Kid In Town” by The Eagles as his theme until he gets more experienced.
The case of Marlon Byrd it is quite simple – “Free Bird” by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Matt Harvey should walk to the mound with the song “Eye Of The Tiger” by Survivor blasting through the P.A. system.
And an appropriate song for Zack Wheeler is “Wheel In The Sky” by Journey .
Last but not least, if there was a song that should best describe the Mets future it should be “Movin On Up” – The theme from The Jefferson’s!
So what do you think ? Agree/disagree? What song would you use for a player that was either mentioned or not? Feel free to write your choices in the comments section.
And with that said….. HERE COMES THE INFAMY !!!!!!
Mets alumni celebrating a birthday today includes:
Utility player from 1962, Cliff Cook is 87 (1936) .
Reserve outfielder from the ’09 season, Cory Sullivan is 34 (1979).
Middle reliever from the ’09 season, Lance Broadway is 30 (1983).
Some other notables...
- The New York Mets purchased the contract of spot starter/middle reliever, Bill Connors from the Chicago Cubs on August 20, 1967.
- The New York Mets purchased the contract of starting pitcher Ray Burris from the New York Yankees on August 20, 1979.
- The New York Mets signed free agent utility infielder, Larry Bowa on August 20, 1985. Bowa’s tenure with the Mets was rather short. He played in 14 games for the Mets, batting .105 with just 2 RBIs.
- The New York Mets traded minor league infielders, Sean Henry and Jose Castro, to the Cincinnati Reds for reserve outfielder/first baseman, Jeff Conine on August 20, 2007.
- The New York Mets released starting pitcher, Livan Hernandez on August 20, 2009.
The song that best describes Mo Vaughn is “I Want Candy’ !!!!!
About the Author: Ed Marcus
Proud lifelong Met fan who has a passing resemblance to Rusty Staub and is a purveyor of Mo Vaughn jokes as well as the writer of "This Day In Mets Infamy". You can follow me on Twitter at @lagranderusty.
15 Comments + Add Comment
- Sloatsburg Mets Fan: on Latest On Ike Davis: Mets and Brewers Talked, Nothing Is Imminent: Teddy, 2 words for that deal; HELL...
- Out of Place Mets fan: on Mets Ramping Up Efforts To Trade Daniel Murphy,: Murphy, Gee & Duda for Hardy
- Teddy Klein: on Mets Ramping Up Efforts To Trade Daniel Murphy,: +1 Viva la tortuga!
- jason bay: on Mets Ramping Up Efforts To Trade Daniel Murphy,: Murphy's offense at 1B could be greater...
- Joey D.: on Mets Could Still Target An Outfielder Despite Chris Young: Hi Jeru, Another question to ask is if...
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!