Rockies vs Mets: Gee, Flores, Lagares Primed For The Sweep!
ROCKIES AT METS • 12:10 PM
Jeff Manship (0-0 , 0.00) vs Dillon Gee (7-8, 3.97)
- Eric Young, Jr. – LF
- Juan Lagares – CF
- Daniel Murphy – 2B
- Marlon Byrd – RF
- Ike Davis – 1B
- Wilmer Flores – 3B
- Anthony Recker – C
- Omar Quintanilla – SS
- Dillon Gee – RHP
Video of the Day
Hey, I told you Harvey was gonna Rock This Town last night… Here’s another eighties She Stadium staple…
- RHP Matt Harvey authored the first complete game and first shutout of his career Wednesday night, when he tossed a four-hitter to lead the Mets past the Rockies, 5-0. Harvey, the National League’s leader in strikeouts, whiffed only six but walked none and threw just 106 pitches—including 78 strikes—in the gem. He went to a three-ball count just twice, threw a first-pitch strike to 24 of the 30 batters he faced, threw more than 11 pitches in an inning just three times, retired 15 of the game’s final 17 batters and allowed only one runner to advance beyond first base. Harvey’s masterpiece was endangered when Charlie Blackmon lined a single off his right kneecap with two outs in the ninth, but Harvey needed to throw just one warm-up pitch and showed no ill effects while walking through the locker room with the knee wrapped. Harvey improved to 9-3 and lowered his ERA to 2.09, second-best in the NL behind Clayton Kershaw.
- RHP Dillon Gee will look to maintain his recent dominance at home when he takes the mound Thursday afternoon for the Mets in the finale of a three-game series against the Rockies at Citi Field. Gee didn’t factor into the decision in his most recent start last Friday, when he opened the Mets’ six-game homestand by allowing just one run on three hits and two walks while striking out four over seven innings in the Mets’ 4-2, 11-inning win. Gee is 2-0 with a 1.34 ERA in his last five home starts dating back to June 12. Gee has a 2.22 ERA in his last 12 home starts dating back to June 20, 2012 and has a lifetime 3.15 ERA in 38 games (36 starts) at Citi Field. Lately, Gee has been almost as good away from Citi Field: In his last 12 starts dating back to May 30, Gee is 5-2 with a 2.53 ERA, a stretch in which he’s lowered his overall ERA from 6.34 to 3.97, the lowest it has been since following his first start of the season. Gee will be making his third career start against the Rockies and his first at Citi Field. He is 1-1 with a 6.17 ERA against Colorado. He earned the win in his most recent start against the Rockies on April 28, 2012, when he allowed four runs (three earned) over seven innings in the Mets’ 7-5 win.
- LF Lucas Duda was activated from the 15-day disabled list Wednesday and optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas. Duda went on the disabled list June 22 with a strained left intercostal muscle and ended up losing his job to Eric Young, who has cemented himself as the Mets’ leadoff hitter in Duda’s absence while also providing a vast upgrade over Duda in left field. Duda began a minor league rehab assignment July 24 and hit just .156 with one homer, six RBIs and 17 strikeouts in 45 at-bats between Las Vegas, the rookie-level Gulf Coast League Mets and Class A St. Lucie. Duda was hitting .235 with 11 homers and 23 RBIs in 68 games for the Mets prior to getting hurt.
- SS Ruben Tejada appears no closer to returning to the Mets. Tejada, who suffered a strained right quad on May 29 and was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas upon the completion of his rehab assignment July 7, is hitting .280 for Las Vegas but entered Wednesday with just four hits in his last 34 at-bats. “I don’t know when we’re going to see Ruben back here,” Mets manager Terry Collins said Wednesday afternoon. Tejada hit just .209 with 10 RBIs in 187 at-bats for the Mets and frustrated the Mets with a lack of conditioning as well as lapses on defense.
- 3B Wilmer Flores had a memorable second big league game Wednesday night when he collected his first career hit, scored his first run and racked up his first three RBIs in the Mets’ 5-0 win over the Rockies. Flores’ one-out single in the second inning was the first of three straight hits by the Mets, the last of which scored Flores from third base. In the eighth inning, Flores delivered a bases-loaded, bases-clearing double down the left field line to expand the lead to 5-0. He finished 2-for-4 and played a clean third base one night after he went 0-for-4 and was charged with an error in his big league debut.
Game Preview by Elliot Teichman
The Mets go for the series sweep this afternoon in Queens against the Rockies as this blogger finds himself in an unusual situation. I usually write these articles before 6 AM and the Rockies, who will be playing 6 hours and 15 minutes from this exact moment (5:45 AM) still have not announced a starter yet.
*** Rockies manager named righty Jeff Manship as Thursday’s starter after Tyler Chatwood was scratched late Wednesday night. Chatwood is headed to the disabled list with right elbow inflammation.
Dillon Gee is 7-8 on the season with a 3.97 ERA pitching 131.1 innings. His last start was a nice bounce back as he allowed only 1 ER over 7 innings of work and now has allowed 1 ER or fewer over 6.2 innings or more in three of his last four starts. He faced Colorado before this season and it was a rough game as he allowed 5 ER over 4.2 innings and 7 hits. The Rockies have the following numbers against Gee:
Cuddyer 2-5, 2B
Gonzalez 3-4, HR
Helton 2-5, 2B
Lets Go Mets!
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
74 Comments + Add Comment
- CThomp519: on Sounds Like Daniel Murphy Is A Goner: Trading Murphy should only happen if they're...
- taskmaster4450: on Sounds Like Daniel Murphy Is A Goner: Too many here thinking like fans and...
- Chris: on Sounds Like Daniel Murphy Is A Goner: Everything I have seen indicates that they...
- Connor O'Brien: on Sounds Like Daniel Murphy Is A Goner: In that case, with no other options,...
- Mets Fan in NC: on Sounds Like Daniel Murphy Is A Goner: Teams have been given advance warning that...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!