Managers May Be Able To Challenge Umpire’s Calls Beginning In 2014
The Associated Press reports that baseball as we know it could be changing forever beginning next season.
Major League Baseball is expanding its video review process next season, giving managers a tool they’ve never had.
Commissioner Bud Selig calls it a historic moment for the game in a press conference in Cooperstown after two days of meetings with representatives of the 30 teams. The proposal is to be voted on by the owners in November.
Managers will be allowed one challenge over the first six innings of games and two after the seventh inning until the end of the game. Calls that are challenged will be reviewed by a crew in MLB headquarters in New York City, which will make the final ruling.
MLB vice president Joe Torre gave the replay presentation to representatives from all 30 teams on Wednesday and it was discussed Thursday morning.
A 75 percent vote by the owners is needed for approval and the players’ association and umpires would have to agree to any changes to the current system.
Atlanta Braves President John Schuerholz, a member of the replay committee, says the umpires are receptive to the change. Schuerholz says 89 percent of incorrect calls made in the past will be reviewable.
Wow, I wonder how the owners will vote on this… Usually, Selig always gets his way especially with some strong-arming from his biggest allies like Fred Wilpon…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
11 Comments + Add Comment
- Jeru: on Mets Will Meet With Agents For John Axford and Kevin Gregg: http://metsmerizedonline.com/2013/07/featured-post-the-case-for-not-trading-bobby-parnell.html I was advocate for trading Bobby100
- doekie: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Perhaps CYoung plays great, gets a great...
- Jeru: on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: ummm, we spent 32 million this off-season...
- Teddy Klein: on Mets Will Meet With Agents For John Axford and Kevin Gregg: …in fantasy land. BTW, hit the button "Reply"
- Teddy Klein: on Mets Will Meet With Agents For John Axford and Kevin Gregg: If you put murphy at 1B, Put...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!