Mets vs Marlins: And Now Batting For The Mets, No. 6, Right Fielder Marlon Byrd
METS AT MARLINS
Jenrry Mejia (1-0, 0.00) vs Henderson Alvarez (1-1, 2.64)
*** I’m collecting on a few bets I made a few weeks ago that Marlon Byrd and Bobby Parnell would be with the Mets on August 1st. Hee hee hee…
- Eric Young Jr., lf
- Daniel Murphy, 2b
- David Wright, 3b
- Marlon Byrd, rf
- Ike Davis, 1b
- John Buck, c
- Juan Lagares, cf
- Omar Quintanilla, ss
- Jenrry Mejia, rhp
- C John Buck had a game-winning, two-run single in the 10th inning Tuesday against the Marlins. For the season, he is hitting .305 with runners in scoring position.
- RHP Jenrry Mejia will start against the Marlins Wednesday. He has made five previous appearances against the Marlins—all in relief—posting an 0-0 record and a 3.88 ERA.
- RHP Zack Wheeler was outstanding Tuesday against the Marlins, allowing no hits for 6 1/3 innings before finishing with the following line: seven innings, three hits, three walks and two runs. He threw 87 pitches, 64 of them for strikes. He is 3-0 with a 2.37 ERA on the road this season.
- SS Ruben Tejada, demoted to Triple-A earlier this year, will likely be recalled Sept. 1 when rosters can expand.
- INF/OF Jordany Valdespin, demoted to Triple-A earlier this year, will likely be recalled Sept. 1 when rosters can expand. He is the reigning Pacific Coast League Player of the Week.
- RHP Frank Francisco, on the disabled list all season after elbow surgery, could resume throwing this week.
- LHP Jonathon Niese will likely need two more starts before returning to the majors. His next start is Thursday.
- RHP Noah Syndergaard was named the Double-A Eastern League Player of the Week. He is 4-0 with a 2.25 ERA at Double-A this year.
- 1B Ike Davis‘ struggles were evident in the fourth inning Tuesday, when David Wright stood on third base with just one out. Davis was late on a 1-0 fastball for a foul, swung and missed at a 3-1 changeup and then hit an infield popout on a 3-2 pitch, blowing what should have been a simple RBI opportunity. It happened again in the eighth inning, when Davis struck out with Marlon Byrd on third and none out. Davis finished the day 0-for-3 with two walks and is hitting .176 for the year.
- CF Juan Lagares, a rookie, hit his second career MLB triple, driving in two runs in Tuesday’s fourth inning against the Marlins. He also ran down a long fly ball by Logan Morrison, crashing into the center-field wall as he caught the drive. In addition to the two-run triple, Lagares finished the day 3-for-3 with a walk and a sacrifice bunt. The three hits were a career high, and he is hitting .369 for the month.
- Left-hander Pedro Feliciano last Thursday made his first Triple-A appearance since 2006, when the Mets were aligned with Norfolk. Feliciano has retired all six batters he has faced — four lefties, two righties — over three appearances since the promotion from Binghamton to Las Vegas.
The Mets and Marlins play game 3 tonight as the Mets go for the series victory against the fish. Last night Wheeler took a no hit bid into the 7th inning before the game was knotted at 2. Buck came through in the 10th inning and the Mets ended up the in win column for the second time in a row. Tonight Jenrry Mejia looks to make his second start as he squares up against Henderson Alvarez.
Jenrry Mejia was fantastic in his season debut last week against the Nationals allowing no runs and 7 hits over 7 innings of work as he struck out 7 batters. He is 1-0 over 12.1 innings, 5 games and 1 start against the Nationals with a 2.19 ERA allowing 10 hits, 3 walks and striking out 8 batters. the Nationals have the following numbers against him:
Henderson Alvarez is 1-1 over 5 starts on the season with a 2.64 ERA while pitching 30.2 innings. He is in the midst of a good stretch where he hasn’t allowed any runs in his last two starts, adding up to 13.0 innings. He has made one start in the past against the Mets where he allowed 6 ER over 5 innings of work. The Mets have the following numbers against him:
Wright 2-3, 2B
Lets Go Mets!
About the Author: Elliot Teichman
33 Comments + Add Comment
- Trs86: on Hot Stove: M’s Offer Cano $240 Million, Red Sox Sign RHP Edward Mujica: Yet you have no idea what was...
- Dirk Diggler: on Mets Drawing The Line At Three Years, Granderson Wants Four: Me too
- the mad met: on Mets Drawing The Line At Three Years, Granderson Wants Four: Rather have beltran 3/50 than grandy 4...
- Kevin: on Words to the Wilpons: We Beg Of You, Sell The Team: I'm not trying to argue that you...
- Biggle Boy: on Mets Drawing The Line At Three Years, Granderson Wants Four: MadMet, get Cano? The Mets have a...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!