Mets Get Some Offers On Byrd, Waiting To Hear Back On Counteroffers
It’s been a very quiet deadline with the Jake Peavy to the Red Sox trade being the loudest shot fired in the last 48 hours. But things are picking up on the Marlon Byrd front, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.
The Mets are suddenly getting hits on the veteran outfielder and they have apparently made counteroffers to some clubs and are now waiting to see if anyone budges.
The Pirates are believed to be among the teams interested in Byrd, says Sherman. But a Pirates beat writer said interest is lukewarm at best.
No one seems to be willing to meet the Mets’ asking price, reports Marc Carig of Newsday.
You get the sense Byrd is a Plan C for a lot of teams, which makes sense from their perspectives. But #Mets want a Plan A type return.
— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) July 31, 2013
I expect him to still be a Met in two hours which is exactly how I felt two weeks ago…
- MLBTR – Michael Young will only approve a trade back to the Texas according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. In contrast, Scott Miller of CBS Sports says Red Sox people believe Young would approve a trade there. The Phillies checked in with Young over the weekend about the Rangers and Red Sox. If Young is being traded, Yankees people say it’s not to them, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post.
- ESPN - The Dodgers and Angels are discussing a trade for second baseman Howie Kendrick, but talks are preliminary. The Angels are said to be listening to offers for Kendrick, Erick Aybar, and Alberto Callaspo, and are seeking high quality big league ready pitching in return.
- Jon Heyman - Boston has been adamant about not including top prospects Xander Bogaerts and Jackie Bradley Jr. in deals. But they have about 10 more top-line prospects, including pitchers Matt Barnes, Brandon Workman, Henry Owens, Allen Webster and Rubby De La Rosa and many others. Boston also has done extremely well this year with its strategy to sign several mid-range players after unloading big-money contracts like Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez, and may not be so anxious to get back into the mega-market territory. Though it’s pretty clear they are talking to Philadelphia, the Red Sox also have some interest in third baseman Michael Young.
- ESPN – The Cubs could move Kevin Gregg and Nate Schierholtz, but are extremely unlikely to trade lefty reliever James Russell and there’s just about zero chance of a Jeff Samardzija trade. Pitchers Ian Kennedy and J.J. Putz of the Diamondbacks and Kyle Farnsworth of the Rays are now available in trade.
- CSN Chicago - Sounds like White Sox and Pirates are getting close on a deal for Alex Rios. Cash being worked on. Not sure if they can find a middle ground.
- Joel Sherman - The price for Peavy remains a top 50 prospect in a three or four-player package, according to Sherman. He believes Peavy will be traded, ranking the most likely landing spots as the Cardinals, Red Sox, and A’s.
- MLBTR – There are no current discussions between the Cardinals and White Sox on Peavy, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. And the D’Backs say they no longer have interest in Peavy with Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill soon returning, adds Bob Nightengale of USA Today.
- Jon Heyman - The Red Sox are the biggest player in the Cliff Lee derby, sources told CBSSports.com, but it remains uncertain how likely it is the Phillies star left-hander will be dealt. If there are other teams heavily involved in talks for Lee, they are doing it in an extremely stealthy manner. But considering the price tag (at least three top prospects) and salary ($70 million), it’s understandable the field would be limited.
More updates to come…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
42 Comments + Add Comment
- Dave: on Thoughts On The Improbable Gardner For Murphy Swap: Please stop with all this trading Murphy...
- Just Some Internet Guy You Dont Know: on Thoughts On The Improbable Gardner For Murphy Swap: Can't wait for this stupid and unlikely...
- Brandon Young: on Thoughts On The Improbable Gardner For Murphy Swap: Imagine Murphs #'s in Yankee stadium, with...
- Joey Vito: on Featured Post: Don’t Give Up On Ike Davis: "Davis will be back to his good...
- the mad met: on Alderson Clarifies Earlier Statement On $85 Million Payroll: How about tradeing florez and montero for...
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!