The Futures Game Was Bright With Syndergaard, Montero and Nimmo On Hand
Well that was fun..
The game’s best young prospects converged on Citi Field, home of the New York Mets, to take part in the Futures Game, where the U.S. Team defeated the World Team by a score of 4-2.
As for the good guys, Noah Syndergaard started for the U.S. Team and allowed one hit in his inning of work, while Rafael Montero started for the World Team and needed just nine pitches to complete his perfect inning of work.
Offensively, Brandon Nimmo came off the bench to replace starting left fielder Joc Pederson and went 0-for-2 at the plate with two men left on base.
All in all, everybody had fun at the ballpark as the game’s future stars put on a great show to kick off the All Star festivities at Citi Field.
Original Post 10:15 AM
On Saturday, Major League Baseball finally announced what the Flushing Faithful have hoped for and expected all along – that Mets’ pitching prospects Noah Syndergaard and Rafael Montero would start the Futures Game at Citi Field this afternoon.
Montero is 8-5 with a 3.07 ERA in 18 starts split between Double-A Binghamton and Triple-A Las Vegas this season. While his counterpart, Syndergaard, is 5-3 with a 2.69 ERA in 16 starts split between Single-A St. Lucie and Double-A Binghamton this year. Both are having stellar seasons.
Brandon Nimmo, the Mets’ top overall draft choice in 2011, also will represent the Mets as a reserve on the U.S. Team after being selected via a Fan Vote. Nimmo is batting .261 with one homer and 23 RBIs in 39 games at Single-A Savannah.
The Futures Game, a showcase for baseball’s best and brightest prospects, will feature 20 first-round and four second-round draft picks this year. Players from the United States, Puerto Rico and nine other countries will take the field.
Here are the lineups for today’s contest:
- Billy Hamilton CF, Cincinnati Reds
- Delino DeShields 2B, Houston Astros
- George Springer RF, Houston Astros
- C.J. Cron 1B, Los Angeles Angels
- Matt Davidson 3B , Arizona Diamondbacks
- Joc Pederson LF, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Christian Yelich DH, Miami Marlins
- Addison Russell SS, Oakland Athletics
- Austin Hedges C, San Diego Padres
Starting Pitcher: RHP Noah Syndergaard
- Reymond Fuentes LF, San Diego Padres
- Arismendy Alcantara 2B, Chicago Cubs
- Xander Bogaerts SS, Boston Red Sox
- Miguel Sano 3B, Minnesota Twins
- Henry Urrutia RF, Baltimore Orioles
- Jordan Lennerton 1B, Detroit Tigers
- Gregory Polanco CF, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Maikel Franco DH, Philadelphia Phillies
- A.J. Jimenez C, Toronto Blue Jays
Starting Pitcher: Rafael Montero
It will be great to catch a glimpse of Montero and Syndergaard pitching from a mound at Citi Field this afternoon, and at least for one day we can imagine what it will feel like to have both of them in our rotation.
Be sure to tune into ESPN2 at 2:00 PM to catch all the action, especially if you haven’t see either of these two exciting prospects pitch before…
Check out the cool duds that will be wearing for the Futures Game on Sunday, July 14th at Citi Field. MMO will be heavily represented with no less than five of us in attendance.