Braves vs Mets: Hefner On Mound, Kirk and Recker In Against Hudson
Braves vs. Mets
RHP Jeremy Hefner (4-7, 3.93) vs. RHP Tim Hudson (7-7, 4.08)
- Eric Young, Jr. – LF
- Daniel Murphy – 2B
- David Wright – 3B
- Marlon Byrd – RF
- Ike Davis – 1B
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis – CF
- Anthony Recker – C
- Omar Quintanilla – SS
- Jeremy Hefner – RHP
- RHP Carlos Torres earned his first big league win as a starter in almost four years by pitching in and out of trouble for six innings Tuesday night in the Mets’ 4-1 win over the Braves. Torres allowed seven hits and two walks and tied a career high by striking out six. Torres’ last win as a starter happened on Sept. 3, 2009, when he threw seven scoreless innings for the White Sox in a 5-0 win over the Cubs. Torres also collected his second career RBI on Tuesday with a game-tying single in the third inning.
- RHP Jenrry Mejia will be recalled from Double-A Binghamton to start the first game of Friday’s doubleheader against Washington. Mejia has been on the disabled list with a strained right elbow all year but is 2-0 with a 0.82 ERA in two starts since his rehab assignment was moved to Binghamton. In six rehab starts between Binghamton, Single-A St. Lucie and the rookie-level Gulf Coast League Mets, Mejia is 2-0 with a 2.55 ERA and 26 strikeouts in 24 2/3 innings. Mejia underwent Tommy John surgery in 2011 and went 1-2 with a 5.63 ERA in five games (three starts) for the Mets last season.
- RHP Zack Wheeler will take his usual turn in the rotation in Thursday’s series finale against the Braves. The Mets considered pushing Wheeler back a day after he developed a blister in his last start on Saturday against the Phillies, but they kept him on schedule after he showed no ill effects during his between-starts bullpen session on Tuesday. Wheeler is 3-1 with a 3.58 ERA in his first six starts.
- RHP Jeremy Hefner will attempt to bounce back from one of the worst starts of his career when he takes the mound Wednesday against the Braves. Hefner opened the second half for the Mets last Friday but was torpedoed for eight runs on 10 hits in two-plus innings in the Mets’ 13-8 loss to the Phillies. The eight runs allowed were a career high while the 10 hits allowed tied a career high. Hefner is 0-1 with a 5.84 ERA in three appearances (two starts) against the Braves.
- RHP Shaun Marcum was placed on waivers Tuesday. Marcum was placed on the 15-day disabled list July 9 before undergoing season-ending thoracic outlet syndrome surgery. By releasing him, the Mets save $1 million in incentives Marcum would have reached by remaining on the DL for an injury unrelated to his right arm. Marcum, who signed a one-year deal worth a guaranteed $4 million in January, went 1-10 this year with a 5.29 ERA in 14 games (12 starts).
The Mets have fight in them. After losing a heartbreaking game on Monday night 2-1 after leading the game until the 9th inning and facing an impossible catch made by Heyward to save the game, the Mets struck back last night winning 4-1 behind good starting pitching and Parnell bounced back to get the save. Tonight Tim Hudson gets the start for the Braves as he squares off against Jeremy Hefner.
Hefner looks to make like Parnell and bounce back. His first start of the second half was not something to be proud of as he allowed 8 ER over 2 innings, but that has been the story this year with Hefner and the Phillies. He has allowed 15 ER over 11.0 innings against the Phillies and 33 ER over 99 innings for everyone else. He has made one start against the Braves this year where he allowed 2 ER over 3 hits and 6 innings. the Braves have the following numbers against Jeremy:
Freeman 3-7, 2 HR
McCann 4-7, 2B
Heyward 1-5, 2B
J Upton 0-2
The Mets get a look at a familiar foe in Tim Hudson tonight who is 7-7 over 20 games with 123.2 innings and a 4.08 ERA. In his last 4 starts he has been about average on the season pitching a 4.00 ERA over 27.0 innings. He has made two starts against the Mets this year first allowing 3 ER over 7.1 innings and then 1 ER over 7 innings. The Mets have the following numbers against Tim:
Wright 18-74, 2 2B, 3 HR
Murphy 4-20, 2B
Davis 4-16, 2B
Lets Go Mets!
About the Author: Elliot Teichman
46 Comments + Add Comment
- ScoreboardSteve: on Would Cespedes Be A Good Target For Mets?: Would love to get Cespedes for Ike,...
- LongTimeFan: on MMO Exclusive: Talking With Mets 1B Prospect Zach Mathieu: Trumbo - no way. Way too flawed....
- martin: on MMO Exclusive: Talking With Mets 1B Prospect Zach Mathieu: tampa is run by smart wall street...
- martin: on MMO Exclusive: Talking With Mets 1B Prospect Zach Mathieu: if you want to make it absolutely...
- TexasGusCC: on MMO Exclusive: Talking With Mets 1B Prospect Zach Mathieu: Mega, Don't know if Trumbo fits here and...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!