Mets Minors Report 6/4: D’Arnaud Still In Boot, Mateo Back On DL, Torres Tosses Nine Scoreless
- Las Vegas shut down Fresno, 8-0.
- Binghamton had the day off.
- St. Lucie dropped to Lakeland, 2-1.
- Savannah had the day off.
- Travis d’Arnaud was seen yesterday at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York for follow up on his fractured toe. Travis was cleared to begin weight bearing rehabilitation, but will remain in a boot for the next week.
- After only two rehab appearances, Mets prospect Luis Mateo has found himself back on the DL this evening. Mateo, since returning from the DL on May 30th, has made two appearances. He allowed two hits in a scoreless inning on the 30th, but he ran into some trouble in his last outing on June 2nd. He allowed four runs off four hits, including a home run, and a walk.
- The unmistakable traits of Noah Syndergaard‘s blistering fastball were on display once again Monday — only the fourth time at Tradition Field — and his latest showcase for the St. Lucie Mets offered more promise for the future. Reaching a top speed of 96 mph, the prized prospect mixed his fastball with a devastating changeup for five strikeouts over five innings but his winless streak extended to four games during a 2-1 loss to visiting Lakeland. Syndergaard, hailed as the No. 3 prospect in the rapidly improving farm system by MMN, allowed six hits — five of them singles — and two runs as his record dropped to 2-3 on the year. For more on Syndergaard’s performance, check out Bill Passonno’s great recap on MMN.
- Travis Taijeron is smoking hot. Last week’s Florida State League Player of The Week was 3-for-4 with another homerun last night. We did a Prospect Spotlight on Taijeron on MMN yesterday — you can check it out here.
- Carlos Torres twirled a gem last night, going the distance and racking up 11 strikeouts as he thoroughly dominated the Fresno hitters. Torres needed just 107 pitches for the complete game, 72 of which were strikes. The righty gave up just three hits on the night, and allowed zero walks on his way to his fifth win of the season. His 11 strikeouts are a season high, and marks the third time this season he has had double digit strikeouts in a game.
- Francisco Pena had another multi-hit game yesterday. He’s been raking since his call-up to Vegas.
- Congratulations to Luis Cessa for being named the South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week. Gabriel Ynoa picked up MMN’s Pitcher of the Week honors while Josh Satin got the nod as MMN’s Player of the Week.
Stat Lines of the Day
Carlos Torres: 9.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 11 K
Eric Campbell: 3-for-4, HR, 3 RBI, 3 R, BB
Travis Taijeron: 3-for-4, 1 HR, 1 RBI
RHP Luis Mateo is headed back to the DL.
3B Dimas Ponce assigned to St. Lucie Mets from Brooklyn Cyclones.
LHP Carlos Vazquez assigned to St. Lucie Mets from Brooklyn Cyclones.
Quote of the Day
“I’ve got to wear the boot still,” Travis d’Arnaud told The Post, adding that he’s unsure of a time frame for its removal.
“A couple of weeks ago when I found out it was still broken it was real tough to take,” d’Arnaud said. “But there was nothing I could do except go home and relax and make sure my foot healed, and that’s what I did.”
MMN Comment of the Day
Today’s comment comes from MMN reader “Dave In Spain,” who points out what the Mets should focus on in this year’s draft.
About the Author: Mitch Petanick
MMO Player Analyst and prospect guru. Still lacing them up and flattening baseballs in the HVNABA. You can check out some more of my personal thoughts regarding Mets' Prospects at my personal blog www.metsprospects.com (but most of my stuff can be found right here on MMO). Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FirstPitchMitch
5 Comments + Add Comment
- Joey D.: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: HI DrD., First off, congratulations. Even though...
- TRS86: on Home Plate Collisions, May Be A Thing Of The Past: Man, who fired Jack Handey?
- TRS86: on Giants Sign Michael Morse To One-Year Deal: And the 1B options continue to dwindle....
- El Sid: on Mets Select Right-Handers Seth Rosin, Jon Velasquez, Could Deal Rosin: He profiles for a guy the Mets...
- the-rock-man: on Mets Select Right-Handers Seth Rosin, Jon Velasquez, Could Deal Rosin: Thats what I was thinking too. ...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!