Mets Minors Report 6/1: Hoffmann Belts Grand Slam, Leathersich Untouchable, Verrett Rocked
Last Night’s Quick Scores
- Las Vegas took down Reno, 7-0.
- Binghamton was defeated by New Hampshire, 8-7.
- St. Lucie had their game rained out.
- Savannah defeated Kannapolis, 6-2.
- Welcome to June, everybody! One man who really wanted it to stay May forever was Jack Leathersich, who had an absolutely amazing month statistically. I’m sure it did wonders for his confidence, and Joe D. keeps comparing him to Billy Wagner, which is looking more realistic by the day. Anyway, Leathersich made ten appearances in May that spanned 12.1 IP. He recorded two saves, allowed just five hits for a .116 BA against, and rocked a 3/27 BB/K ratio. Yeah…if my math is right, that turns out to be a 20.15 K/9 rate. Talk about making a name for yourself…
- Jamie Hoffmann had a grand slam in the fifth inning of last night’s 7-0 win for the Las Vegas 51′s. The 26-year old outfielder is batting .303 with a .369 on-base and four stolen bases.
- Beck Wheeler and Bret Mitchell are both having excellent seasons with ERAs under 1.20 for both of them (1.19 and 1.13, respectively.) Mitchell also had an impressive month of May, as he made ten appearances that spanned 11.2 innings with allowing a single earned run. He recorded seven saves, allowed just five hits for a .125 BA against, and struck out 17.
- Logan Verrett struggled yesterday for the first time in a long time – and allowed eight runs over 5+ innings, including a go-ahead grand slam. Should you be worried? No, not really. Everyone is allowed a bad start here and there and Verrett is still having a great year.
- Jenrry Mejia suffered another setback in his rehab, according to Mike Puma of the NYP. We last saw Mejia look to work his way back to AAA as a starter by rehabbing in St. Lucie.
- Jeurys Familia also had to deal with a setback in his rehab, while Scott Atchison may need season ending surgery. The door is open for a mix of relievers from our minor leagues that might range from David Aardsma to Leather Rocket.
- Kevin Plawecki stole a base last night
- Brandon Nimmo added another hit in a 1-for-4 performance and is looking to get back on track from his minor injuries.
- Wilmer Flores was named as a honorable mention to BA’s Hot Sheet with a .406/.406/.625 slash over the past week. He was also discussed in Mitch P.’s Prospect Spotlight here.
- Maikis De La Cruz had a nice game for Savannah yesterday, as he had three hits, including a home run. He also drove home three runs.
- Rylan Sandoval was promoted to Las Vegas (AAA) to replace Omar Quintanilla. This was surprising considering Josh Rodriguez, who doubled again last night to increase his ongoing hitting streak to 17. As Matt M. mentioned in his post yesterday, it could just be a matter of age.
- Domingo Tapia takes the mound for St. Lucie today after the rainout last night – and Rafael Montero takes the mound for Binghamton later as well.
Stat Line of the Day
Jamie Hoffmann: 2-for-4, 1 2B, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 1 R
INF Reese Havens was added to the 7-Day DL in Las Vegas.
IF Rylan Sandoval was promoted to the Las Vegas 51s from the St. Lucie Mets.
Quote of the Day
Today’s quote is from a new reader on MetsMinors.net who left this comment:
(Photo Credit: Gordon Donovan)
About the Author: Satish Ram
I am a Senior Writer and Editor here at MetsMerized - where I specialize in Minor League coverage. I have been on the staff since 2007 and I am currently in my third semester of college in New York City. You can find me at www.facebook.com/SatishRam or @SilverHeatMMO. Feel free to message me - I love talking about the Mets or baseball overall with anybody.
5 Comments + Add Comment
- TRS86: on Winter Meetings Wrap-Up and Renewed Hope For Mets Fans: It is but IF you believed that...
- TRS86: on Winter Meetings Wrap-Up and Renewed Hope For Mets Fans: I think it depends on one if...
- Vin: on Winter Meetings Wrap-Up and Renewed Hope For Mets Fans: There you go. Though I think that would...
- Biggle Boy: on Winter Meetings Wrap-Up and Renewed Hope For Mets Fans: I don't believe that EY will end...
- TRS86: on Winter Meetings Wrap-Up and Renewed Hope For Mets Fans: LOL, yeah, I pull the trigger, hail...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!