Mets Minors 6/3: Wheeler Close, Ynoa Tosses CG, Taijeron Blasts Three
Last Night’s Quick Scores
- Las Vegas snuck by Fresno, 3-2.
- Binghamton shutout New Hampshire, 7-2.
- St. Lucie split their doubleheader against Charlotte, 7-3, 5-3.
- Savannah shut down Kannapolis, 7-1.
- A day after Mets prospect Zack Wheeler rebounded with a solid performance for Las Vegas, Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that the Mets are considering a variety of factors in setting a date for Zack Wheeler’s major league debut and he could arrive on the next homestand.
- Gabriel Ynoa tossed the South Atlantic League’s first 9-inning complete game this season, retiring 19 of the first 20 batters he faced and holding the Intimidators off the scoreboard until the eighth inning. Ynoa (7-2) earned his league-leading seventh win, allowing a run on five hits while striking out four and walking none. It’s the second-straight game the Sand Gnats did not walk a batter.
- Travis Taijeron blasted three home runs in yesterday’s double header for St. Lucie. He has now lifted his season average over the .300-mark, going 15/33 with four home runs and 11 RBI over the last 10 games. His OPS over those ten games — an eye-popping 1.413. Head over to MMN to check out a Prospect Spotlight on Taijeron.
- Cesar Puello keeps on keeping on. He smacked three more hits yesterday, two of which were for extra bases (home runs and double). This kid really looks like a viable outfield option for the Mets, and fans should start to get excited when they hear Puello’s name. Puello was the subject of a new feature over at MetsMinors.net called Boom or Bust? Boom or Bust is a feature on MMN where we ask our writers to sound off on whether or not they think a particular Mets prospect will be a boom…or a bust. “Where the MMN writers stop being polite…and start getting real…MMN’s Boom or Bust?” — check it out today!
- Jack Leathersich pitched one inning yesterday and surprise, surprise, he struck out another hitter.
- Brandon Nimmo had another multi-hit game yesterday. He now has a four game hitting streak.
- Jayce Boyd = future first baseman of the New York Mets. The Mets have to speed this kid through the system. Coming out of a big-time college program, Florida State, where he raked, he should have started 2013 with St. Lucie at the least. He is an advanced college hitter, and I would push him straight to Binghamton. The guy is hitting .350 this year and through 56 games, has more walks than strike outs…wow.
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis has shown some signs of life, hitting five homers in his last ten games — but in 32 games with Las Vegas he is hitting a paltry .232 with 34 strikeouts.
Stat Lines of the Day
Gabriel Ynoa: 9.0 IP, 5 H, 0 BB, 1 ER, 4 K
Travis Taijeron: 3-for-5, 2 BB, 3 HR, 3 RBI
Cesar Puello: 3-for-5, 1 2B, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 R, 1 SB
No transactions to report.
Quote of the Day
Zack Wheeler, the Mets’ top pitching prospect, is “getting close,” to making his major league debut, assistant general manager John Ricco said Sunday.
“We’ve talked about a lot of different dates, this window over the next couple of weeks,” said Ricco, who made the trip to Miami with the Mets. “I couldn’t rule out anything at this point. We’re kind of getting close, I would imagine.” “I haven’t talked to (Mets GM) Sandy (Alderson) yet, not sure, but it was a good outing,” Ricco said. “I don’t know what that means yet.” “I haven’t talked to (Mets GM) Sandy (Alderson) yet, not sure, but it was a good outing,” Ricco said. “I don’t know what that means yet.”
Tweet of the Day
About the Author: Mitch Petanick
MMO Player Analyst and prospect guru. Still lacing them up and flattening baseballs in the HVNABA. You can check out some more of my personal thoughts regarding Mets' Prospects at my personal blog www.metsprospects.com (but most of my stuff can be found right here on MMO). Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FirstPitchMitch
19 Comments + Add Comment
- Joey D.: on Live Blog: Mets Introduce Curtis Granderson: No rain on our parade today. ...
- Kay: on Curtis Granderson Will Wear No. 3: Lets Go Mets........... I can't imagine why fellow...
- Jakal: on Could Mets Find A Potential Match With Tribe For Asdrubal Cabrera?: 1) It's a band aid 2) Power hitting...
- Hank: on Live Blog: Mets Introduce Curtis Granderson: And with that...Granderson became everyone's third favorite...
- Bcleveland3381: on Could Mets Find A Potential Match With Tribe For Asdrubal Cabrera?: I just don't like giving up a...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!