Mets By The Numbers Through May
As the Mets wrap up the month of May and close in on the second-third of the season, here are where they rank on pitching and offense in the National League.
Runs Scored (207) – 11th
Batting Average (.228) – 14th
On-Base Pct. (.297) – 13th
Slugging Pct. (.371) – 14th
Home Runs (51) – 9th
Stolen Bases (23) – 11th
Earned Run Average (4.28) – 13th
WHIP (1.32) – 9th
Wins (22) – 13th
Saves (10) – 14th
Save Percentage (59%) – 12th
Strikeouts (383) – 12th
Batting Average Against (.260) – 12th
The Kitchen Sink…
- Here’s an interesting stat I discovered… The Mets have grounded into 23 double plays this season. That’s the best mark in the league by far. The Nationals are second with 31 GDPs and the D-Backs lead the league with 55.
- The Mets are last in the league with a .77 Groundball to Flyball Ratio.
- Mets outfielders have committed 8 errors this season, tops in the NL.
- The Mets are batting just .215 at home this season with a .647 OPS. After posting a .698 OPS in April, the Mets slipped to a .639 OPS for the month of May.
- With all the focus on Ike Davis there’s a seldom talked about black hole in center field. Mets center fielders are batting .193 this season with a .576 OPS.
- Mets batters are hitting .217 when leading off an inning. Mets leadoff hitters are batting just .198 this season with a .528 OPS. With No. 8 hitters batting .174 and the No. 9 spot batting .191 those are three dead spots in a row in the lineup.
- With the Mets trying to see more pitches during their at-bats the results aren’t very encouraging. They are batting .190 in three ball counts, .148 in two strike counts and .183 on full counts.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
7 Comments + Add Comment
- vigouge: on MMO Exclusive: Talking With Mets 1B Prospect Zach Mathieu: I don't know where you could possibly...
- ScoreboardSteve: on Would Cespedes Be A Good Target For Mets?: Would love to get Cespedes for Ike,...
- LongTimeFan: on MMO Exclusive: Talking With Mets 1B Prospect Zach Mathieu: Trumbo - no way. Way too flawed....
- martin: on MMO Exclusive: Talking With Mets 1B Prospect Zach Mathieu: tampa is run by smart wall street...
- martin: on MMO Exclusive: Talking With Mets 1B Prospect Zach Mathieu: if you want to make it absolutely...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!