Mets Minors Report 5/31: Lara Solid In FSL Debut, Satin Homers Again, Mazzoni Does It All
Last Night’s Quick Scores
- Las Vegas dismantled Reno, 11-1.
- Binghamton topped Altoona, 6-4.
- St. Lucie dropped to Jupiter in 10 innings, 4-3.
- Savannah split a double header with Kannapolis, 8-2 and 5-4.
- First Base Watch: Josh Satin had another stellar night at the plate going 2-for-4 with a home run. Wilmer Flores is also heating up, as he was 2-for-5 with two doubles and three RBI.
- Rainy Lara made his debut for St. Lucie last night and pitched eight solid innings, but picked up the loss. He scattered four hits and three runs while striking out four.
- Cory Mazzoni did it all in yesterday morning’s game against Altoona. Mazzoni pitched six solid innings, stiking out nine on his way to a no decision. Cory Mazzoni has now struck out 29 batters while only walking eight in 31 innings of work. Mazzoni was also 2-for-2 with a double at the plate.
- Luis Mateo pitched one inning of relief for St. Lucie last night. He gave up two hits but did not allow any runs.
- Brandon Nimmo broke out of his 0-for-27 slump, going 2-for-5 at the plate last night, raising his average to .304.
- Cesar Puello’s two RBI’s were his 30th and 31st tying him with Allan Dykstra for the team lead. Cory Vaughn follows closely behind with 29 and Josh Rodriguez has knocked home 27. (John B.)
- The B-Met outfielders continue to show great speed on the base paths. Two stolen bases push Cesar Puello’s total to a team leading 14. Puello leads outfield comrades Alonzo Harris and Darrell Ceciliani who have both pilfered 13. Cory Vaughn, the remaining B-Met outfielder has 8. (John B.)
- A 3-for-5 day at the plate improves Josh Rodriguez’s batting average to a team leading .315. Two Cesar Puello hits elevated the outfielder’s average to .300. (John B.)
- After a slow start, Darrell Ceciliani continues to make progress at the plate. His three hits today, including a bunt single, increased his average 9 points to .258. (John B.)
- Jeff Walters has 13 saves in 14 chances, striking out over 1 batter per inning with an ERA of 2.74. (John B.)
- Juan Centeno returned to the Las Vegas lineup after spending some time on the DL. He was 2-for-3 with two RBI in Las Vegas’ blowout victory last night.
Stat Line of the Day
Stefan Sabol: 4-for-4, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 R
Las Vegas 51s activated C Kai Gronauer from the 7-day disabled list.
Quote of the Day
“Once that blister went away, we’ve really seen what Zack is really all about. He threw four starts in a row where it looked like a big-league guy throwing to high school kids at times. I can remember Matt last year coming into the office when he threw two or three great starts and saying, ‘When the [heck] am I going to the big leagues?’ I said, ‘Hey, just keep putting up zeros and they’ve gotta make a decision.’ It was an everyday thing with him. Zack’s a little more laid-back than Matt, but the competitiveness is definitely there.”
About the Author: Mitch Petanick
MMO Player Analyst and prospect guru. Still lacing them up and flattening baseballs in the HVNABA. You can check out some more of my personal thoughts regarding Mets' Prospects at my personal blog www.metsprospects.com (but most of my stuff can be found right here on MMO). Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FirstPitchMitch
4 Comments + Add Comment
- Captain America: on Bartolo Colon – An Intriguing Signing: Colon is #3 on the active Wins...
- Jeru: on It Would Be A Mistake If Lagares Is The Odd Man Out: Lagares already established that he is the...
- srt: on The Beat Goes On: Signs That The Mets Are Back In Business: The Wilpons have no money!!!!!!!!! Don't...
- Rocky Thompson: on Rule 5 Draft: Mets Select RHP Seth Rosin, Trade Him To Dodgers For PTBNL: SA did a nice job of not...
- Frank: on Examining Sandy’s Off-Season Signings… So Far: First, Wright hit .307. Those solo HRs are...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!