Last Night’s Quick Scores
- Las Vegas got blanked by Iowa, 4-0.
- Binghamton was shutout by New Britain, 1-0.
- Savannah slid by Augusta, 3-1.
- St. Lucie defeated Dunedin, 8-5.
- Jenrry Mejia made his second rehab start last night in St. Lucie and impressed with eight strikeouts over five innings. We were all curious as to how he would come back in terms of velocity, command, and the break on his pitches. Six of his eight strikeouts were swinging, he walked merely one batter, and he touched 96 MPH in the first inning when he struck out two batters. I think it’s safe to say he’s definitely on his way back. He’s expected to get a chance to start either in AA or AAA later this season.
- Speaking of getting a chance to start, Rainy Lara found himself promoted to St. Lucie yesterday. The right-hander posted a glistening 1.42 ERA over 50.2 innings (eight starts) with the Sand Gnats. He also continued to showcase sterling command, recording 51 strikeouts to just six walks, and now owns a 0.97 WHIP during his brief professional career. The Mets have yet to determine when he makes his first start with them. (Bill P.)
- A high-ranking team official told the NY Post on Thursday that barring a setback, Zack Wheeler is expected to make 2-3 more starts for Triple-A Las Vegas and then join the Mets. If Wheeler remains on normal rest, that would put his Mets debut somewhere in the June 6-11 range. (Joe D.)
- Domingo Tapia returns from the DL after his hand burning incident to make a start for St. Lucie today. Cory Mazzoni
- Mark Cohoon pitched brilliantly in defeat yesterday – going eight innings and allowing just one earned run. Robert Gsellman had a stellar performance in victory – where he allowed just one earned run over seven innings.
- Kevin Plawecki hit double # 20 last night for Savannah. #Promotethismannow
- Baseball America’s most recent mock has the Mets taking Ryne Stanek after they suggested D.J. Peterson in the first one. I’ll have a post up on MetsMinors.Net in a little while about that.
Stat Line of the Day
Mark Cohoon: 8.0 IP, 6 H, 1 HR, 1 BB, 1 ER, 7 K
RHP Rainy Lara was promoted to St. Lucie from Savannah.
RHP Hansel Robles was placed on the 7-Day DL.
RHP Marcos Camarena was demoted to Savannah from St. Lucie.