Mets Minors Report 5/17: Lara Twirled Gem, Syndergaard Firing Bee-Bees, Boyd Hammering Out Hits
- Las Vegas dropped to Omaha 5-4.
- Binghamton had the night off.
- St. Lucie lost to Brevard County in the bottom of the ninth, 3-2.
- Savannah topped Augusta in eleven innings, 6-0.
- Rainy Lara — the name Rainy is fitting considering the fact that opposing teams are probably hoping for rain every time this kid steps on the mound. Last night’s stat line is utterly ridiculous, as he pitched eight complete innings, holding the opposing offense to two hits and one walk. He added in nine strikeouts for good measure. He leads the organization with a miniscule 1.17 ERA, and is second in the SAL for ERA. Aside from one shaky start where he gave up eleven hits and four runs, Lara has been brilliant all year. He should be rewarded with a promotion soon.
- Noah Syndergaard was outdone by Lara last night, but he still showed off why he is a top five prospect in the organization. The curve ball was knee buckling, the change up was keeping hitters off balance, and the fastball was humming by hitters at 96 mph — the result: ten strikeouts on the night. This kid is nasty. A couple of more starts and this guy will be moving on up.
- Jayce Boyd continues doing woodwork, and added two more hits last night. As I stated yesterday, Boyd is one of the prospects I am most impressed with this year. He now trails Kevin Plawecki by .02 in batting average (Boyd .360, Plawecki .362). He has a very advanced approach at the plate, and I’m still super impressed with him having more walks than strike outs this year.
- Jenrry Mejia makes his season debut tonight. He will be on the hill for the St. Lucie Mets.
- MMO’s newest family member, Matt Musico, thinks it’s time to give Zach Lutz a look while Ike Davis struggles. “A guy who is on the 40-man that is hitting right now is Zach Lutz. The corner infielder is hitting .260/.340/.407 with four homers and 20 RBIs. Those numbers aren’t exactly eye-popping, but he’s currently riding a seven-game hitting streak. Over the last week, he’s hitting .444 with three homers, seven RBIs, and two doubles.” I think everyone’s patience has run out with Davis. He looks completely lost at the plate and reminds me of a kid trying to hit a curve playing wiffleball at this point.
Stat Line of the Day
Syndergaard’s line was good, Lara’s was better…
Rainy Lara: 8.0 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 0 ER, 9 K
Jonathan Clark assigned to St. Lucie Mets from Brooklyn Cyclones.
Quote of the Day
Ike Davis on his poor performance:
“As far as this trip — besides today — it’s probably the best I’ve hit the ball, but I just didn’t get any hits,” Davis said. “Obviously it’s not good to strike out four times in any game, so definitely a bad day today.”
Ike, I hate to break it to you, but saying you’re hitting the ball the best you have, but just not getting any hits, doesn’t make it any better. There is no such thing as a good hitter that doesn’t get hits, no matter how hard they are hitting the ball. Try getting your head out of your backside and trusting your hands again. Focus on shooting the left-centerfield gap instead of trying to pull everything. Get back to the basics.
Tweet of the Day
Barring injuries, the #Mets rotation will include Harvey, Wheeler, Synergaard, and Montero in the near future…scary
— Mitch Petanick (@FirstPitchMitch) May 16, 2013
About the Author: Mitch Petanick
MMO Player Analyst and prospect guru. Still lacing them up and flattening baseballs in the HVNABA. You can check out some more of my personal thoughts regarding Mets' Prospects at my personal blog www.metsprospects.com (but most of my stuff can be found right here on MMO). Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FirstPitchMitch
4 Comments + Add Comment
- Hotstreak: on Mets Met With Agent For Bartolo Colon: Hawkins I believe is younger than Colon...
- James.B: on Mets Met With Agent For Bartolo Colon: And can they find a way to...
- srt: on Latest On Trading Ike Davis And First Base Market: I read somewhere this morning that Dykstra...
- ben: on Thoughts On Syndergaard or Montero Making Team Out Of Spring Training: Its a moot point. "Mute" is grammatically...
- Clayton Collier: on Remembering the Mets’ One-Hit Wonders: Chris Jelic has Satin-like eyebrows. Nice post!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!