Mets Minors Report 5/15: Wheeler Update, Bowman/Ynoa/Verrett All Effective, De La Cruz On A Hot Streak
Last Night’s Quick Scores
- Las Vegas dropped a game to Albuquerque, 8-5.
- Binghamton took down Akron, 7-3.
- St. Lucie one-hit Brevard County, 4-0.
- Savannah lost via walk-off, 4-3.
- Zack Wheeler‘s MRI is not worrying me as much as it should. Mitch detailed some concerns with the inverted W delivery that he employs yesterday and how it can weaken a shoulder – but I think I’m just hoping for the best here. Wheeler has been so impressive in his past few starts that I doubt it is anything serious. What I am worried about, however, is further changes to his mechanics that may throw him off his game.
- Logan Verrett continued to impress with another quality start yesterday, which was mapped out by our own John Bernhardt who went as far as to call it gritty in discussion with me. Verrett received a no-decision in yesterday’s start, but rocks a 3.15 ERA in eight starts with a 5-1 record. Opposing hitters are batting just .207 against him with 40 hits in 54 innings.
- Matthew Bowman, or Princeton’s Lincecum as Teddy K. calls him, was absolutely masterful last night when he tossed seven innings of one-hit ball. He combined with T.J. Chism for the one-hit shutout. Bowman is a polished pitcher with some college experience, so his domination of Savannah and potential future domination of St. Lucie can be taken with a grain of salt. It is still awesome to see, however.
- Gabriel Ynoa continues to show some poise for his relatively young age, as he recorded a quality outing yesterday with six-and-a-third innings of two-run ball. This is a name you should really keep tabs on going forward.
- How about Jack Leathersich continuing to employ a ridiculous strikeout rate? He has 33 strikeouts in 17.2 innings, and if my math is correct, he stands at about a K/9 of 17…Wow. Opposing hitters have been held to a .190 average against him.
- Zach Lutz is on a six-game hitting streak and he has had multiple hits in three of those games, with a three-hit performance coming in last night’s game. He owns a .324 average over his last ten games and has also launched three home runs. Of course, there’s that PCL curve to worry about…
- Maikis De La Cruz has looked sharp in his time replacing Brandon Nimmo on the Savannah roster so far. He owns a .391 ( 9 – 23) average in the short sample size.
- Kevin Plawecki actually caused the universe to implode when he decided to hit a triple – not a double – during Tuesday’s Sand Gnats game.
Stat Line of the Day
Matthew Bowman: 7.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 0 ER, 9 K
- Collin McHugh was called up to the New York Mets yesterday. Brandon Hicks was optioned down to Single-A St. Lucie.
- Josh Edgin was promoted to Las Vegas.
- Matthew den Dekker is expected to resume baseball activities in early June.
- OF Jonathan Clark was called up to St. Lucie from the Brooklyn roster.
- Travis d’Arnaud will be examined tomorrow before rehabbing in the PSL.
Video of the Day
Everyone should take a minute out of their day to watch this touching video of Mets catcher Landon Powell and his family. Powell is currently playing for the Las Vegas 51s.
Photo of the Day
About the Author: Satish Ram
I am a Senior Writer and Editor here at MetsMerized - where I specialize in Minor League coverage. I have been on the staff since 2007 and I am currently in my third semester of college in New York City. You can find me at www.facebook.com/SatishRam or @SilverHeatMMO. Feel free to message me - I love talking about the Mets or baseball overall with anybody.
- Hotstreak: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: Hi Joey D. To have dialogue on your...
- Just Some Internet Guy You Dont Know: on Mets Still Have A Lead-off Dillema: There's this guy in Toronto. Or just go...
- El Sid: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: He can make adjustment to his swing...
- Just Some Internet Guy You Dont Know: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: Trade Ike and Duda and put Flores...
- Metsie: on Bartolo Colon Agrees To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal With Mets: It's not just pressure on the Blog...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!