Upper Minors: Vegas Pulls Out Late Win For Gorski, Goeddel Strong For B-Mets
Las Vegas 4, Fresno 3
Darin Gorski had a decent outing and the late hitting for the 51s sealed the win, 4-3.
Darin Gorski had a solid outing, going five innings allowing three runs (two earned) on five hits, walking four and striking out three. Gorski did not exhibit solid command, but managed to miss the bats enough to walk away with a respectable start. Gorski will always be a contact pitcher, and the development of his breaking ball will determine his final resting place. Greg Peavey went two innings, allowing two hits and striking out one. Justin Hampson got the win, giving up one hit in his inning of work. Jeurys Familia came out for his inning to grab the save, giving up two hits but striking out one batter. Pitching has been a huge part of the 51s success and will continue to be.
On the offensive side, Vegas continued its early scoring mentality netting a run on a Wilmer Flores RBI groundout and an Andrew Brown RBI triple. Josh Satin would push an RBI single in the sixth inning to tie the game. A Jamie Hoffman RBI single in the top of the ninth inning would seal the win for the 51s. Despite many offensive explosion type games, the 51s have shown some clutch hitting as well as some great situational hitting.
Zack Wheeler toes the rubber for the 51s tomorrow evening at 10:05 ET as Las Vegas (4-1) continues their series with the Fresno Grizzlies.
- Juan Lagares - 2 for 5, R
- Travis d’Arnaud – 1 for 3, R, BB
- Wilmer Flores – 0 for 3, R, RBI, BB, K
- Darin Gorski - 5 IP, 5H, 3 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 3 K
- Jeurys Familia - 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, SV
Erik Goeddel had a great outing and the offense made sure there was no doubt in the 7-2 victory
Erik Goeddel put together a strong outing, going six innings giving up two runs on eight hits, walking no one and striking out five. Goeddel relied on generating ground balls and leaning on his defense, which is always a positive plan when you have a great defense behind you. Jack Leathersich came out for two innings of work, and allowed one hit while striking out two batters. Leathersich may be the fastest mover in the Mets system based on his ability to be a crossover reliever and dominate lefties. Jeffrey Walters came out for the ninth inning and allowed two hits and walked one batter pitching the ninth. The premier pitching surplus is present in Binghamton and they are utilizing it well.
The B.Mets offense didn’t take the day off either, with five earned runs crossing the plate and a few runs scoring due to some shoddy defense from the SeaWolves. Cesar Puello hit an RBI double in the fifth and was thrown out in a run down play being aggressive. Alonzo Harris hit a solo home run in the sixth inning. Wilfredo Tovar had an RBI fielders choice in the seventh, scoring Cesar Puello. Darrell Ceciliani had a two-RBI double in the seventh, and Cory Vaughn struck out swinging but a wild pitch allowed Darrell Ceciliani to score from third. Rhyne Hughes netted an RBI on a force attempt in the ninth inning, scoring Alonzo Harris.
Rafael Montero looks to build on his strong opening day start against Erie tomorrow evening at 6:05 ET.
- Alonzo Harris - 3 for 5, HR, 2 R, RBI
- Cory Vaughn – 0 for 5, 3 K
- Cesar Puello – 1 for 3, R, RBI, BB, K
- Erik Goeddel - 6 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
- Jack Leathersich - 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER. 0 BB, 1 K
About the Author: Former Writers
- Hotstreak: on Featured Post: Could Kemp Be The Finishing Touch To Powerful Mets Lineup?: FYI http://www.thegoodphight.com/2013/12/9/5192574/trade-rumors-phillies-actively-shopping-domonic-brown
- VinfromJersey: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Bien fait... El Sid !
- Hotstreak: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Don't kid yourself Wright and Grandy have...
- Scottydoeskno328: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: The fear I have with this signing...
- VinfromJersey: on MMO Mailbag: Any Chance That Murphy Moves To First Base?: If you like Murphy's production at 1B....you...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!