Mets Minors Report: McHugh Is Ready, Peavey Is Dealing, Rivera and Brown Tearing It Up
Last Night’s Quick Scores
- Savannah (4-4) dropped a game to Rome, 5-2.
- St. Lucie (6-2) defeated Palm Beach in twelve innings, 6-5.
- Binghamton (5-3) defeated New Hampshire behind an eleven run fourth inning, 15-7.
- Las Vegas (5-4) dropped a game to Fresno, 6-1.
- Kevin Plawecki now leads the organization with a .484 batting average after going 3-for-5 in last night’s game. He added two more doubles, bringing his season total to six, also good for the lead in the organization. Get used to seeing Plawecki smacking doubles in the gap, his swing is built for it, and will produce deep, laser-like line drives that will generally one-hop the fence.
- Mets have signed left-handed reliever Sean Henn to a minor league deal. Henn is 31 years old, and last pitched in the major leagues in 2009 (with Baltimore and Minnesota).
- T.J. Rivera is quietly putting together another solid year. He currently leads St. Lucie in hits, RBI, batting average, OBP, and slugging percentage. The amazing thing is that he is doing this all from the lead-off spot in the lineup. Look for Rivera to get the call up to Binghamton very soon if continues flattening baseballs.
- Another player to watch down on the farm is offseason acquisition Andrew Brown who is tearing it up at Las Vegas. The right-handed hitting corner outfielder is batting .398/.450/.606 and more than half of his hits have been for extra bases. He could eventually become an option for the Mets down the road.
- At some point will the Mets end the Aaron Laffey experiment and just give the damn ball to starting pitcher Collin McHugh? All this right-hander has done is impress going back to last season, and even in the hitter-friendly PCL he is now 2-0 with an almost invisible 0.73 ERA. Come on already…
- By the way RHP Greg Peavey now has 7.2 scoreless innings out of the bullpen… He was cast into the pen because of some crazy obsession the front office has with RHP Carlos Torres (5.19 ERA, 2.30 WHIP).
- Binghamton head coach, Pedro Lopez, is expecting some tough offensive nights as his team goes through an adjustment period — most will agree that the jump to Double-A is the toughest transition for prospects. “We’ve got to understand that some of these guys have been playing A-ball. You got a lot of young guys, and it’s the first time at Double-A for some of them,” Rodriguez said. “It’s the first time playing in this type of cold for some guys too.” As if adjusting to Double-A isn’t difficult enough, the temperature in most night games in Binghamton will be in the forties (if not colder) to start the year.
Stat Line of the Night
Cory Vaughn: 3-for-4, 3 R, 4 RBI, 1 BB
Tweet Of The Day
You would think after hitting all those doubles, Plawecki would be exhausted…
Really wish it was easier for me to sleep on buses. Missin out some serious Zzz’s.
The B-Mets are sending Erik Goeddel to the hill against New Hampshire, that game is in progress now.
Savannah has yet to announce their starter, but they will play Rome at 6:05 ET.
About the Author: Mitch Petanick
MMO Player Analyst and prospect guru. Still lacing them up and flattening baseballs in the HVNABA. You can check out some more of my personal thoughts regarding Mets' Prospects at my personal blog www.metsprospects.com (but most of my stuff can be found right here on MMO). Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FirstPitchMitch
24 Comments + Add Comment
- Sloatsburg Mets Fan: on With Hart and LoMo Off The Boards, Plot Thickens For First Base Market: Off topic Francesa reporting mets are finalizing 2...
- Von: on MMO Mailbag: Any Chance That Murphy Moves To First Base?: Mets signing Bartolo Colon for 2 years!
- TJ: on With Hart and LoMo Off The Boards, Plot Thickens For First Base Market: Joe D., I agree, THIS IS FUN. ...
- Mr. Belvedere: on MMO Mailbag: Any Chance That Murphy Moves To First Base?: I've been saying this for months...Murph and...
- Peter: on MMO Mailbag: Any Chance That Murphy Moves To First Base?: 1 year woukd have been better but...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!