Mets Minors Report 4/25: Wheeler On The Hill Tonight, Boyd Smoking The Ball, Harris Leads League In Swipes
- The Las Vegas had a night off — Zack Wheeler takes the hill tonight.
- Binghamton topped Portland, 8-6.
- St. Lucie had the night off.
- Savannah dismantled Delmarva, 9-3.
- All eyes will be on Zack Wheeler as he is coming off his six walk performance from last Friday night. Wheeler is still seeking his first win at the Triple-A level, as his record is currently 0-1. Hopefully he gets his season back on track tonight.
- With two more hits last night, Jayce Boyd became the leading hitter on the Savannah Sand Gnats. He is now batting .411 on the season, good for tops in the organization and the South Atlantic League. Second on the list: Brandon Nimmo.
- The three top hitters in the organization are all on Savannah – Boyd, Nimmo and Kevin Plawecki. Brandon Nimmo’s average has dropped below .400 after another hit less night. His average is now sitting at .392 for the season, good for second in the SAL. Kevin Plawecki is batting .372, which is sixth-best in the SAL, and he keeps hitting doubles because he’s a doubles machine.
- Alonzo Harris stole another base in last night’s game, he now leads the Eastern League with nine on the year.
- Rafael Montero Watch: Jorge Castillo, of the Star Ledger, asked Terry Collins what he thought about Montero making the jump straight from Binghamton to Flushing this year. “I can envision it absolutely,” Collins said.
- Adam Rubin reports that Matt den Dekker’s cast is scheduled to be removed on Monday, and then he will undergo a two week rehab program before beginning baseball activities. He also reports that Michael Fulmer has completed the rehab process, coming off of surgery for a torn meniscus, and he was scheduled to throw one inning in an inter-squad game in St. Lucie yesterday.
Stat Line of the Night
Jeffrey Glenn: 3-for-5, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 R
- Savannah Sand Gnats placed RHP Logan Taylor on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to April 22, 2013 with a strained oblique.
- Adam Rubin reports that Cesar Puello has been held out of games since the 18th with an apparent left wrist injury.
Quote Of The Day
Most importantly, Savannah pitching coach/fellow Long Island product Frank Viola noted, Matz has now thrown 81 pitches in each of his last two outings and is growing confident injury woes are behind him.
“It’s so important to know you can do it,” Viola said.
Said Savannah manager Luis Rojas: “He’s a smart kid, and he’s blessed. He still has a great arm. His fastball has got a late hop, and it’s really heavy. His breaking pitch, he’s really discovering now. He’s changing from a curveball to a slider. And he actually has a good feel for it.”
Matz believes the slider is more conducive to his natural arm slot.
“His fastball had a lot of movement, and he obviously was throwing pretty hard,” said Kevin Plawecki, who caught Matz’s most recent outing. “I think he’s still kind of in that phase where he’s getting a feel for his pitches again. That was a good step in the right direction. He’s got a good, live arm. It does jump at you a little bit, especially from the left side. I think it gives hitters a little bit of a struggle.”
Photo of the Day
About the Author: Mitch Petanick
MMO Player Analyst and prospect guru. Still lacing them up and flattening baseballs in the HVNABA. You can check out some more of my personal thoughts regarding Mets' Prospects at my personal blog www.metsprospects.com (but most of my stuff can be found right here on MMO). Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FirstPitchMitch
4 Comments + Add Comment
- oleosmirf: on There’s An Urgency To Trade Ike Davis This Week: And Arizona would want Ike, Duda or...
- oleosmirf: on There’s An Urgency To Trade Ike Davis This Week: The question is what will it take...
- pburke: on There’s An Urgency To Trade Ike Davis This Week: Mets are smart to try and make...
- SCOTT: on Thoughts On The Improbable Gardner For Murphy Swap: wrong most fans would not jump at...
- oleosmirf: on There’s An Urgency To Trade Ike Davis This Week: Nick Franklin is not a SS though...
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!