Mets Minors Report 4/19: Syndergaard Torched, Aderlin Homers For Third Straight Game
Last Night’s Quick Scores
- Savannah (7-7) dropped to Lakewood, 3-2
- St. Lucie (9-5) droppedto Fort Myers, 11-8
- Binghamton (8-6) topped New Hampshire, 4-3
- Las Vegas (8-6) topped Sacramento, 10-6
- Brandon Nimmo cooled off a little last night, and had his first game without a hit in almost a week. He still leads the Mets organization in hitting with a .411 average.
- Travis d’Arnaud will miss some time with a fracture in his foot. Hopefully he won’t need surgery, but the good news is that this kid is ready for the big leagues, so when he does return, don’t be surprised to see him play in a few tune up games and then join the Mets some time after the All-Star break.
- Wilmer Flores continues to have a solid season, and it seems like he has been playing in the shadows of d’Arnaud and Zack Wheeler for the first couple of weeks of the season. He hit his first home run of the season last night and added three RBI in Las Vegas’ victory.
- Being overshadowed by the exploits of his teammate Brandon Nimmo, catcher Kevin Plawecki is raking to the tune of a 375/.426/.667 slash this season. Said one scout about him, “He barrels everything.” Ten of his 18 base hits are of the extra-base variety showing the immense power that was projected of him when he was selected in the first round of the 2012 Draft out of Purdue University. It would be a shock if he doesn’t end the season in Double-A. This kid can hit and shouldn’t be overlooked. (Joe D.)
- Savannah’s Rainy Lara could be the starter to replace Jake deGrom in the St. Lucie rotation now that they have an open slot. Lara has been dominating and has a 0.70 ERA, 0.618 WHIP and 10.1 strikeout rate in 11.1 innings pitched. Matthew Bowman is also an option with a 2-0 record and a 1.62 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and a 3.50 K/BB in three starts this season. (Joe D.)
- Noah Syndergaard had one of those forgettable starts last night. He gave up seven earned runs in three innings of work. It’s the most runs he had ever given up in a start. Most young pitchers will go through starts like this throughout their careers, and it’s all part of the development process. Everyone will be watching to see how he responds during his next start.
- Though Flores got the nod with the Stat Line of the Day, St. Lucie shortstop and 2013 MMO Sleeper Matt Reynolds was 2-for-5 with a triple, a two-run homerun and three RBI. Reynolds, 22, is batting .286/.355/.411 in 14 games this season. (Joe D.)
- Andrew Brown is crushing the ball. He had three hits last night – a single, double and triple. He was a home run short of the cycle. He is now batting .351 this season and has a .996 OPS.
- Aderlin Rodriguez looks like he’s in another one of his signature tears at the plate. He’s now homered in three straight games after a dreadful start to the season. I spoke to one coach about him on Wednesday and was told that he’s keeping his leg bag now and using both his upper and lower body when he drives the ball. Let’s see where this continues to go. (Joe D.)
Stat Line of the Night
Wilmer Flores: 2-for-4, HR, 3 RBI, BB, 2 R
Tweet of the Day
The life of a minor league player trying to live out their dreams in the big leagues.
5:30 AM still on the bus #Grinding
Juan Centeno was called up to Las Vegas to fill in for injured Travis d’Arnaud.
B-Mets manager Pedro Lopez discusses the team with Tim Heiman and offers a two-week report card on his team.
About the Author: Mitch Petanick
MMO Player Analyst and prospect guru. Still lacing them up and flattening baseballs in the HVNABA. You can check out some more of my personal thoughts regarding Mets' Prospects at my personal blog www.metsprospects.com (but most of my stuff can be found right here on MMO). Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FirstPitchMitch
10 Comments + Add Comment
- Victor: on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: Probably just water that doesn't have lead...
- burnindaylight: on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: Hell Shake Shack should be hiring with...
- taskmaster4450: on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: Bad? This signing becomes bad after he completes...
- Victor: on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: You are insane, you're mad about a...
- Tip Grizzler: on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: Atrocious signing with massive risk. A fat guy...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!