Mets Minors Report 4/17: Nimmo Sizzling With Three More Hits, McHugh Making Case For Mets Rotation
Last Night’s Quick Scores
- Savannah (6-6) got edged out by the Greensboro Grasshoppers, 9-8
- St. Lucie (9-3) destroyed the Charlotte Stone Crabs, 13-3
- Binghamton (7-5) defeated the Portland Sea Dogs, 7-3
- Las Vegas (6-6) dropped to Sacramento River Cats, 2-1
- Brandon Nimmo continues to flatten baseballs. He had another three hits in Tuesday night’s game, and has brought his average up to a ridiculous .447. Many people were watching to see how Nimmo would respond in 2013, and he seems to be silencing the critics. There was going to be an adjustment period for Nimmo at the professional level. High school players might see one good pitcher a week at that level, then they come to professional baseball and are facing pitchers everyday that may have been better than any pitcher they ever faced in high school. It’s safe to say Nimmo has made the necessary adjustment to professional baseball, and continues making the doubters look foolish.
- It’s time to promote Kevin Plawecki. Low-A pitching is just not challenging enough for him. He’s a polished college hitter and should have started the season at St. Lucie. Everyday he goes and smacks another double or home run, I scratch my head and wonder why he is playing for Savannah.
- Another solid outing for Collin McHugh last night. The righty now has started three games and has a ridiculous 0.50 ERA. He also has fifteen strikeouts in fifteen innings this year to only four walks. What are the Mets waiting for to give this guy a shot at the back end of the rotation?
- Newly promoted Jacob deGrom gets the nod for Binghamton tonight. Many had him penciled into the Binghamton rotation at the start of 2013, so it was really only a matter of time before he got the call. While at St. Lucie, he pitched twelve innings, striking out thirteen batters while only walking two.
- Many already know that Joe D. and I differ with our thoughts on Zack Wheeler. I am for promoting him as soon as the Mets gain the extra year of control for a number of reasons. One, I think he’s bored pitching at the minor league level. When you have a talent like Wheeler, you have to keep challenging them in order to get the most out of them. Once promoted, we will see a different Zack Wheeler. Two, there are factors beyond Wheeler’s “control” that lead to walks. If pitchers threw the ball in the strike zone consistently, they would get rocked, and never make it past Single-A. It’s the pitcher’s job to either get hitters to swing at bad pitches, or throw pitches that look bad, but then break over the strike zone. So they want them to swing at pitches out of the zone, and not swing at the ones in the zone. Makes sense right? Well, I believe that Wheeler’s pitches are so dominant, that the batter’s aren’t given the opportunity to chase them. Then when the umpire calls ball four, the hitter is probably breathing a sigh of relief as he walks down to first base. Any hitter that has gone up against a dominant pitcher knows exactly what I’m talking about.
Stat Line of the Night
Cam Maron: 3-for-5, 1 3B, 3 RBI, 1 R
Tweet of the Day
Some of the guys aren’t used to these early starts…
Can’t remember the last time I have played a 10:45 am game. Tomorrow morning might be my first since T ball.
— Kevin Plawecki (@kplawecki26) April 17, 2013
Jacob deGrom was promoted to Binghamton, and Luis Mateo has officially been placed on the disabled list.
Cory Vaughn has been tearing the cover off the ball of late. Hear him talk to B-Mets broadcaster Tim Heiman before last night’s game.
About the Author: Mitch Petanick
MMO Player Analyst and prospect guru. Still lacing them up and flattening baseballs in the HVNABA. You can check out some more of my personal thoughts regarding Mets' Prospects at my personal blog www.metsprospects.com (but most of my stuff can be found right here on MMO). Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FirstPitchMitch
12 Comments + Add Comment
- TexasGusCC: on Nothing Is Imminent: The Story Of Us: Jessep, Sound question. I will explain: -We know...
- philipag: on Words to the Wilpons: We Beg Of You, Sell The Team: Agreed - I'm all for building the...
- Joe D: on Words to the Wilpons: We Beg Of You, Sell The Team: The "our money" approach would be valid...
- metfan62: on Mets Extend A Three-Year Offer To Granderson: I also am not defending or absolving...
- jessep: on Nothing Is Imminent: The Story Of Us: TexasGusCC: I have a question for you. If...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!