Boras Has Better Offers On Bourn Than The Mets At His Disposal

An article by posted on February 6, 2013

San Francisco Giants v Atlanta Braves

The Mets are willing to give free agent Michael Bourn a four-year deal, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

Scott Boras is claiming that he has better offers at his disposal than whatever the Mets have discussed with him.

Sherman speculates that Boras could simply be bluffing to try and get more out of the Mets or simply trying to create some buzz to drum up more interest for his client.

You just never know with Boras, he is a master at these negotiations. And regardless of what Sherman speculates, Boras does always manage to have a mystery team in his pocket in addition to the ones with their cards on the table.

Yesterday, Buster Olney reported that the Indians were just one of many teams who would be very interested if Bourn’s price were to come down from the five years he is looking for.

Ken Rosenthal says that though the odds seem increasingly slim, he’s not ruling out that Bourn will land a big deal, perhaps even beating B.J. Upton’s five-year, $75.25 million free-agent contract with the Atlanta Braves. By now, all of us should know better than to doubt Bourn’s agent, Scott Boras.

With regard to the first round pick, both the Mets and Boras believe they have a winning argument should the case go to an arbitrator, mainly built around the spirit of the rule, which they believe is to protect the teams with the 10-worst records.

That said, unless the Mets come to an agreement neither side will file a formal request to MLB about it.

Updated 2/5

The Indians might be one of many teams that will be interested in signing free agent Michael Bourn if his price comes down according to Buster Olney of ESPN.

As I wrote last week, I was afraid this would happen the longer this dragged out. Scott Boras isn’t concerned with making friends, only getting his clients the largest deals they can get. He always keeps busy working the phones and trying to get more interested teams into the bidding arena.

Meanwhile, yesterday, David Wright  told the NY Post that he has spoken with Bourn and exchanged texts with him in an attempt to lure him to Citi Field.

“I just wanted to let him know that he would be a great addition here and he’d obviously be welcomed here,’’ Wright said after his first early workout at the Mets’ spring training complex.

“I talked to him a couple weeks ago, and I told him, ‘You’re always in the right place at the right time, your work counts,’ ’’ Wright said. “I’ve always had great respect for him and the way he plays the game and have always kind of chatted with him when he gets to third base.

“I just feel he’s a hard-nosed player. I wanted to be there to answer any question he might have and let him know that with some of the young arms that we have and the young talent we have, we are not far off.’’

Wright is confident the Mets are heading in the right direction. The game plan was given to Wright when Alderson went to Virginia to play golf with him in October, and Wright has been on-board with the plan since that day.

Meanwhile, Bourn is looking for a five year deal while the Mets are unwilling to give the free agent centerfielder more than three.

Sandy Alderson said yesterday that he will not ask MLB about protecting the Mets No. 11 pick unless he knows he has an agreement with Bourn.

“In the event we get to that point, I don’t think it’s fair to say we’re looking for a rule change,” Alderson said. “We’re looking to clarify the effect of the existing rule. It’s sort of a case of first impression. It hasn’t been dealt with before. If we get to that point, we’ll see.’’

We’ll continue monitoring this to it’s conclusion…

Original Post 2/4

Today at Citi Field, Sandy Alderson briefed reporters about the Michael Bourn and Brandon Lyon situations.

Regarding Brandon Lyon, Alderson said that if the team agrees to a contract with him, that he is likely finished adding additional arms to the bullpen this winter.

“The bullpen can’t be worse and has the potential to be a lot better,” Alderson explained.

As we reported yesterday, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports said the Mets were close to signing Lyon, while Andy Martino added that Lyon was still negotiating with other teams.

Alderson added that righthander Jenrry Mejia will enter camp as a starting pitcher, while Jeurys Familia will be strictly a reliever.

Regarding Michael Bourn, Alderson said he is still negotiating with his agent and that he will not ask the league to protect their first-round draft pick until he comes to terms on a contract with Bourn first.

Alderson doesn’t believe the rule on draft pick protection needs to be changed, only that it needs to be altered.

Finally, if they do not sign Bourn, the Mets GM said it’s possible they will go into camp with the outfielders they currently have on the roster.

In fact, Alderson confirmed that whatever happens with Bourn or Lyon, there’s nothing else cooking and their won’t be.

About the Author ()

I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction and interact with other passionate Met fans like you. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.

Comments are closed.