5,000 Days Ago Today: Animal Crackers and Duck Soup
Chris Jaffe over at The Hardball Times, emailed me a link to his latest post marking several notable anniversaries today including this one:
5,000 days ago, one of the greatest stunts any manager ever pulled occurred. It was Fake Mustache Night in the Mets dugout—at least it was for manager Bobby Valentine.
It was June 9, 1999 and Valentine’s Mets hosted the Toronto Blue Jays in an interleague game. It was a close game—in fact it went into extra innings, tied 3-3.
In the 12th the fun began. With one out and a runner on first, home plate umpire Randy Marsh awarded Toronto infielder Craig Grebeck first base via catcher’s interference on star Mets backstop Mike Piazza. Well, of course an odd call like catcher’s interference will get a manager’s attention, and when it comes in a tied game in extra innings, it really gets the juices flowing.
Valentine came out and protested, and Marsh gave Valentine the heave-ho. Normally the story would end there. But of course this would not be a normal night.
Read the entire article here… It’s a fun read on this slow Friday morning.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
4 Comments + Add Comment
- Alex68: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: During the "ERA" that the Yankees and...
- Metstheory22: on If Zack Wheeler Is In, Then Who’s Out?: Do we have a three headed coin?
- Russell Zanca: on If Zack Wheeler Is In, Then Who’s Out?: Let's face it, on a team that...
- Metsr1: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: This is all silly sabermetric B.S. pure...
- DAP: on If Zack Wheeler Is In, Then Who’s Out?: does it even matter? Hefner would...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!