Young Could Make Perfect Sense To Replace Dickey In Mets Rotation
Chris Young remains a viable option to be re-signed to fill the rotation void according to what a source told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York.
Young, returning from surgery to repair a torn anterior capsule in his right shoulder, made 20 starts for the Mets in 2012 and went 4-9 with a 4.15 ERA in 115 innings. The innings total was his highest since logging 173 innings with San Diego in 2007. Young earned roughly $2.3 million with performance-based incentives.
“His record didn’t indicate it, but we didn’t get him a lot of run support,” Terry Collins said after Young’s final start of the season. “But he did a very good job, and I’m very happy he made it through the year healthy. His last two starts his velocity climbed. His velocity was up 3, 4 mph, which I was very impressed with.”
Last night on Mets Hot Stove, David Lennon and Andy Martino joined Kevin Burkhardt and they all agreed that Young would most likely pitch even better than last season when he was coming back from shoulder surgery, and that he could be a nice signing if the price is right. I would tend to agree with them.
At the end of last season, Young had regained some life on his fastball and as the season wore on, his performance improved. He ended the month of September with a 2.73 ERA.
About the Author: Craig Lerner
I'm a data analyst and researcher for a leading news agency who loves life and is hooked on the Mets. I love following the Amateur Draft and have a particular fondness for the Mets Minor Leagues who I follow each day. Give me a cold beer, a summer day, and a Mets game, and I'm good to go.
70 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/18/2013
- jason bay: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: The difference though is Boston took tons...
- tc575: on Mets Super Tuesday Preview: Harvey and Wheeler Headline Today’s Double-Dip: Just FYI.. Harvey came out in the...
- Henry Krinkle: on Dillon Gee Has Pitched Himself Back Into The Rotation, But So Has Hefner: This is a fine comment for the...
- Donal: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: Well, you and the other guy who...
- Metsie: on Are Valdespin’s Days As A Met Numbered?: Ah the old WHAT IF game I...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!