Mets Are Going To “Half & Half” It In 2013
During an interview Sunday with MLB Network Radio, Sandy Alderson expressed that the loss of a first-round pick would be too steep a price for him to consider signing Michael Bourn, who is the best outfielder left on the free-agent market.
The Mets GM also confirmed that his plan for 2013 is to have one foot in “rebuild mode” and the other foot in “win now mode”.
“The blueprint here is to rebuild the farm system at the same time that we try to be competitive. For us to lose the first round pick would be a counter to that approach.”
“On the other hand, we have added significantly to our minor league system with the trade of R.A. Dickey and the acquisition of Zack Wheeler last year. So, the farm system is in much better shape than it had been. And so, we are in a position to at least consider the possibility of losing a draft pick. But at the same time, we are very reluctant to do so.”
Sandy is absolutely right, the farm system is in better shape than it had been.
But of course the major league squad is in worse shape than it had been… And for the third straight year…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
218 Comments + Add Comment
- Captain America: on Mets Select Right-Handers Seth Rosin, Jon Velasquez, Could Deal Rosin: Dee Gordon PTBNL?????
- Jeru: on MMO Mailbag: What If Mets Find Cash In Stocking?: ...maybe the roster is clogged because we...
- Hotstreak: on Home Plate Collisions, May Be A Thing Of The Past: Sandy eviscerated the Mets and next is...
- DrDooby: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Well Joey D., so far about 30...
- Metsie: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: On that we both agree! Instead of worrying...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!