Alderson Keeping His Options Open At Closer
According to Dan Martin of the New York Post, Sandy Alderson said while Frank Francisco is the team’s current closer, he continues to weigh options which remain on the open market.
“Confident? I’m willing,” Alderson said in regards to Francisco’s ability to close. “There’s still a lot out there and we’re looking.”
This doesn’t surprise me. I would expect Alderson to keep an open mind about the closer role in light of Francisco’s poor showing in 2012.
Francisco went 1-3 with a 5.53 ERA in 48 relief appearances in 2012, having allowed 26 earned runs, 47 hits, 21 walks with 47 strikeouts in 42 1/3 innings in 2012.
He was shutdown after September 16 after being diagnosed with right elbow soreness, and recently underwent surgery to remove a bone spur from his throwing elbow last month and is expected to be ready for Opening Day.
Francisco will earn $6.5 million in 2013, the final year of the deal he signed during the 2011 offseason.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
27 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Edward: on What Do We Have In Lucas Duda And Is He The Solution At Left Field?: If Duda plays the entire year, I...
- Metstheory22: on What Do We Have In Lucas Duda And Is He The Solution At Left Field?: After being on the team this long,...
- Hawk: on What Do We Have In Lucas Duda And Is He The Solution At Left Field?: Lucas Duda is not a full time...
- Hawk: on D’Arnaud To Remain In Boot Camp For Two More Weeks: ^^THIS^^ Slow to heal.
- Tlagee: on Matt Harvey Does It All In Mets 3-2 Win Over Cubs: Ok, you think 'spins .230 avg and...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!