2013 Mock Draft: TTF Has Mets Taking 3B Colin Moran
Through The Fence Baseball posted their updated 2013 Mock Draft yesterday. The first round of the 2013 MLB draft keeps shrinking they say. When the Los Angeles Angels signed free agent Josh Hamilton a couple of weeks ago, they lost their first-round pick. They became the second team to lose their first-round pick, joining the Atlanta Braves, who lost theirs when they signed B.J. Upton in November. There may be more shrinking depending on what happens to Kyle Lohse and Michael Bourn. Anyway, lets check out the landscape and see who they have the Mets pegged for.
1. Houston Astros — Austin Meadows, OF, Grayson HS (GA)
I see a lot of other mock drafts have Mark Appel going as first pick. The Astros passed on him last year, however, so why wouldn’t they do it again? Some say because Carlos Correa was too special of a talent to pass up. Well, so is Meadows. At 6’-4” and 200 pounds, the left-hander already has a major league body and he is one of the youngest players in the draft. He has a plus arm, plus speed and great bat speed. A five-tool player with as much potential as anyone in this draft.
2. Chicago Cubs — Sean Manaea, LHP, Indiana State
3. Colorado Rockies — Clint Frazier, OF, Loganville HS (GA)
4. Minnesota Twins — Ryne Stanek, RHP, Arkansas
5. Cleveland Indians — Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford
6. Miami Marlins — Kris Bryant, 3B/OF, San Diego
7. Boston Red Sox — Bobby Wahl, RHP, Ole Miss
8. Kansas City Royals — Austin Wilson, OF, Stanford
9. Pittsburgh Pirates* — Kohl Stewart, RHP, St. Pius X HS (TX)
10. Toronto Blue Jays — Reese McGuire, C, Kentwood HS, (WA)
11. New York Mets — Colin Moran, 3B/1B, North Carolina
Moran is one of the better college bats in the draft and was impressive at the Cape Cod League, hitting .314 over 39 games with eight doubles, six home runs and led the league with 42 RBI. As a sophomore at UNC, he hit .365 with 11 doubles, three home runs, 35 RBI and struck out just 24 times, showing a solid approach at the plate. At 6’-3” and 200 pounds, the power is going to come fast.
* * * * * * * *
A couple of days ago, me and Sean were talking about Stanford’s Austin Wilson, we both love the kid’s makeup and power potential plus he has a lot of polish. Trouble is that as I told Sean, there was no way Wilson doesn’t go within the first seven picks, long before the Mets make their selection. TTF has Kansas City taking him in the No. 8 spot. I don’t even think he’ll be there for them.
As for Moran, I think if the Mets go into this yet again without addressing an organizational need, a lot of fans are going to really get frustrated. This system of ours, is still hanging back in the bottom half of all 30 MLB systems and needs quality outfield bats. They need quality left-handed starters. They have more infield prospects and righthanders than you can can shake a stick at. I was shocked that a couple of those surplus pieces didn’t go toward getting the Mets an outfielder. What’s the good of having all that surplus if you can’t use it to address other significant needs?
Every time I hear someone say “Mets in 2014″, I look at our current outfield, then I look at what we have in the minors, and then I say, “yeah, right”.
About the only thing that appeals to me about Moran is that he plays for North Carolina, who always pumps out a stream of solid players and is one of the top baseball programs in the country. That’s where Omar Minaya picked up Matt Harvey from.
You can read the entire mock draft here.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
35 Comments + Add Comment
- stevep: on MMO Exclusive: Talking With Mets 1B Prospect Zach Mathieu: Trumbo has 29 or more HR in...
- The-rock-man: on MMO Exclusive: Talking With Mets 1B Prospect Zach Mathieu: Did you forget the article was about...
- blaiseda: on Carlos Beltran Agrees To Three-Year, $45 Million Deal With Yankees: Beltran gave his all for the Mets....
- Just Some Internet Guy You Dont Know: on MMO Fan Shot: A Temporary Solution for First Base: So add Loney to Ike, Duda, Flores,...
- Captain America: on Carlos Beltran Agrees To Three-Year, $45 Million Deal With Yankees: Here is a little story I found...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!