Winter Meetings Update: Red Sox Land Napoli, Surgery For Arod, Dodger Want Greinke, Latest On Dickey
Jon Heyman, Ken Rosenthal, Joel Sherman and Jon Paul Morosi have all been giving updates as a reporters on MLB Network which is live at the Winter Meetings. Here is his most recent rumor mill report.
- The Boston Red Sox made the first splash of the Winter Meetings agreeing to a three-year deal worth $39 million with Mike Napoli. The deal which was first tweeted by Nick Carafado of the Boston Globe. Carafado also tweets that the plan for Napoli is to be the Sox primary first baseman, while playing occasionally behind the plate. The Red Sox have also been reported to have interest in former Yankee outfielder Nick Swisher
- According to Heyman the Dodgers will “back up the truck” for free agent starter Zack Greinke. Heyman states that the Dodgers believe there is a possibility that they could have a deal done in the next 24-48 hours. The Dodgers are in desperate need a number two starter behind ace Clayton Kershaw and ahead of number three starter Josh Beckett.
- Heyman also reports that the Angels still remain interested in Greinke, but may not be able to play hardball with the Dodgers and their loaded group of owners. As a result the Angels continue to look at the second and third best options in Kyle Lohse and Anibal Sanchez.
- According to Jon Paul Morosi Washington would like to re-sign Adam Laroche and trade Michael Morse. If they are unable to re-sign Laroche, Morse will take over at first, but if they can bring Laroche back, Morse could be dealt. Morse was linked to Tampa earlier today in a deal that could have been for James Shields according to Heyman of CBSSports.com.
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez has a tear in his left hip and will have surgery to repair it in January. The timetable for his recovery is 4-6 months, and as a result will miss part of the 2013 season. With Derek Jeter also on the shelf the Yankees are in the market for a middle infielder for the left side.
- ESPN’s Jayson Stark is reporting that the Baltimore Orioles are “going hard” after free agent first baseman Adam Laroche.
- Finally, Mets GM Sandy Alderson has confirmed that he has had “preliminary” trade discussions with multiple teams involving R.A. Dickey according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
Keep it locked in here as we will continue to keep you updated on all the rumors flying around the Winter Meetings.