Alderson Admits No Wholesale Changes Coming, Dickey Feels Insulted

An article by posted on December 11, 2012

News coming in from the Mets Holiday Party where R.A. Dickey and Sandy Alderson have much to say…

Dickey Feels Insulted

“I feel like we are asking for less than what is fair.”

Dickey also said the two sides are still far apart. He admits it’s hard not to feel insulted by the pace, distance of negotiations.

Dickey feels he’s extended an “olive branch” to the Mets. Says it’s been hard not to take things personally.

He also said he would be upset if Mets ask him to play out last year at $5 million with no extension.

No Wholesale Changes

Sandy Alderson acknowledges he does expect the 2013 Opening Day roster to look similar to the end of 2012.

I guess it’s okay to say I told you so… I never believed there would be significant changes for a second.

This is a disheartening development to say the least.

These are not rumors…

These are actual direct quotes from Dickey and Alderson themselves…

I take no pleasure in reporting this… This is sad…

Original Post 9:00 AM

According to Andy Martino of the Daily News, the Mets have increased their contract extension offer to R.A. Dickey to two-years for $20 million dollars.

Dickey has been asking for a two-year extension for approximately $26 million, totaling $31 million over three years. The Mets now are closer to a three-year deal worth $25 million total.

This would put Dickey and the Mets only $5 million apart.

On the trade front, the Mets have not gotten and better offers for Dickey as many believed would happen after Zack Greinke signed and James Shields came off the table. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports adds that a deal to send Dickey to the Rangers is unlikely.

“While we’re waiting for a better trade offer, we’re also still exploring bringing R.A. back,” Alderson said.

I’ve already mentioned many times the different reasons why teams are reluctant to trade for Dickey, so I wont keep repeating myself. But I will say that the front office has clearly misread the market for their 38-year old ace.

Mike Kerwick of Newsday says, “it’s doubtful another team would hand the Mets a prospect as glittery as Myers.”

My gut tells me that given the small disparity in dollars, a deal could get done before the end of the week. Maybe then, the front office can start focusing on all the other things that still need to be addressed on this roster, but have gone widely ignored.

About the Author ()

I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction and interact with other passionate Met fans like you. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.

Comments are closed.