Mets Could Have Dickey Signed Before End Of This Month

An article by posted on November 8, 2012

Andy McCullough of The Star-Ledger added some more depth to what R.A. Dickey had to say about his contract talks, the Mets, and the direction of the team.

“He’s convinced me,” Dickey said before being honored by the ALS Association Greater New York Chapter at the New York Marriott Marquis. “I think the Mets are moving in the right direction, that’s for sure. I certainly want to be part of that solution.”

One person with knowledge of the discussions indicated there could be a resolution before the month ends. The person requested anonymity due to the sensitivity of negotiations. The necessary terms for a deal were described as a “moving target.” A one-year extension, for example, would cost more per season than a three-year extension.

One comparable contract that’s been discussed belongs to White Sox starter Jake Peavy. Chicago granted Peavy an extension worth $29 million for 2013 and 2014. It is unclear if the Mets would spend as much on Dickey, who turns 38 next month.

During the past three seasons, Peavy posted a 4.07 ERA in 437⅔ innings. In that same time frame, Dickey posted a 2.95 ERA in 616 2/3 innings.

The comparison to Peavy is a fair one, but I would value Dickey much more than him. I think the White Sox overpaid for Peavy and using him as a comparison would only lead to the Mets doing the same with Dickey. Unfortunately that’s how things work in baseball.

If I had to guess, a two year deal could fetch Dickey $34 million, with a three year deal guaranteeing him a little less annually  but still a nice chunk of change at $45 million.

It’s clear that Dickey wants to remain with the team, and I don’t know what Alderson told him, but Dickey is now convinced the Mets have ”a very intentional plan” and believes the Mets are heading in the right direction and that they will be “competitive very quickly”.

I’m still skeptical, so I’m going to wait and see what this hot stove season has in store for us.

Original Post 11/7 1:00 PM 

According to Marc Carig of Newsday, R.A. Dickey told him that contract talks have progressed between him and the Mets.

Dickey told him that he feels the organization is heading in the right direction. You may recall was skeptical of the team’s direction last month and said he wanted to know what the plan was before he negotiates an extension. Dickey also said that he considered himself and Wright “a package deal”.

This is probably the first real piece of news from either the Mets or Dickey regarding any extension talks and how those negotiations are progressing. By that I mean it’s not from some unnamed team source.

It actually changes my entire stance on the situation as I’ve been of the belief that Dickey would be traded this offseason. Now I’m not so sure.

I love Dickey and I’d want nothing better than for him to be our Opening Day pitcher next season. He gave us the courtesy of several interviews since joining the Mets, including an exclusive interview at the MLB Fan Cave this summer.

The way I figured things was that we were rebuilding and with his value at an all-time high Dickey was as good as gone for a package of top prospects.

I have absolutely no idea what this front office is doing anymore. None.

About the Author ()

I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction and interact with other passionate Met fans like you. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.

Comments are closed.