Heyman: Bay’s Salary Being Deferred For Only Two Years
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports writes that Jason Bay may have gotten a better deal for himself by leaving the Mets than he did when he initially signed with them.
Not only will Bay be paid the entire $21 million he is owed by the Mets, as has been reported, but the $15 million that is being deferred under the terms of the severance agreement is to be paid by the end of 2015, meaning the deferred monies will be paid only over an additional two years, CBSSports.com has learned.
Neither side would comment on the deferred payments, but sources familiar with the deal say the short deferral — the deferred monies are to be paid in five installments — means the present-day value of the contract is worth only about $850,000 less than the full $21 million. Had the team simply cut him, they would have had to pay him all the money by the end of 2013.
The Mets and the outfielder made the surprise agreement to part ways with a year to go on his $66-million, four-year deal. Originally, the Mets had said Bay would be coming to spring training.
This sounds like a deal that benefits both sides. It gives the Mets room to be more flexible while deferring Bay’s money to 2015 when the financial picture will be better than it is now as they continue to revive what almost was a dire situation. The recovery continues.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
13 Comments + Add Comment
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: "Plus D’Araud can be an all-star for...
- Jimmy Pernil: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: Actually, Balderson inherited a team who was...
- USMF: on MLB Denies Mets Appeal On Harvey Run: How does he still have a job?...
- Jimmy Pernil: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: lmfao @ this DUMB Casper. Without major...
- Jimmy Pernil: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: DrDoorag- there's a better chance Obama is...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!