Wilpon Calls Alderson and Collins the Faces of the Franchise
Not really the type of news I typically post, but here’s something somewhat curious I read on Newsday, that I felt was worth sharing.
While attending a news conference Thursday for Selig’s “Welcome Back Veterans” program, Fred Wilpon said he is confident in the front office’s offseason efforts, though he refused to share details about the club’s long-term plan.
Regarding any negotiations with Wright, Fred Wilpon only said he knew there were conversations, but while talking about Sandy Alderson and the front office, he said this:
“I think they’re working very hard,” he said. “I think they have a good plan and they now have to execute that plan. They will. They will.”
In particular, Wilpon expressed support for Alderson and manager Terry Collins, who is entering the final season of his contract.
“I like the position that I’m in,” Wilpon said. “I also think the face of the organization should be the faces that are there — our manager and our general manager — and I like both of them a lot.”
I never heard of a GM and Manager being paired and referred to as the faces of the franchise before, not just in MLB, but any sport. I do understand there are many fans who do see Alderson as the face of the franchise rather than a player, but you don’t expect the owner of the team to say that. You would think he’d mention players that would help sell tickets. And it made me wonder if Fred was distancing himself from both Wright and Dickey… Disengaging if you will.
Anyway, it struck me as odd that he would say that.
Instead, it might of been a better PR move to say Dickey and Wright were the faces of the franchise, especially considering the situation with both of them.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
43 Comments + Add Comment
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Braves vs Mets: Dillon Gee Opposes Mike Minor In Tonight’s Second Game: He kills every pitcher....has he put "Everyday...
- Bill J: on Braves vs Mets: Dillon Gee Opposes Mike Minor In Tonight’s Second Game: Gee was clearly running on fumes and...
- Hans: on Braves vs Mets: Dillon Gee Opposes Mike Minor In Tonight’s Second Game: The Fox announcers are learning how bad...
- RandomGuy: on Braves vs Mets: Dillon Gee Opposes Mike Minor In Tonight’s Second Game: Thats the second home run Gee has...
- Paul's Mets: on Braves vs Mets: Dillon Gee Opposes Mike Minor In Tonight’s Second Game: Gee looking better. Gee, Marcum, Niese have been...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!