Team Exercises Options On David Wright and R.A. Dickey
Updated 10/30 7:00 PM
It’s official. The Mets have announced that they have exercised the 2013 options for David Wright ($16MM) and R.A. Dickey ($5MM).
The Mets had until tomorrow to execute their option on Wright and until Friday to execute their option on Dickey.
Updated 10/30 2:00 PM
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports the Mets and David Wright are in negotiations on a long-term deal, but assuming no multi-year deal can be completed by Wednesday, the Mets will pick up his $16-million option.
The Mets and Wright are thought to have made a bit of progress in multiyear talks, though negotiations were said to be “slow” by some. Mets ownership wants talks kept under wraps, so it’s hard to know specifics.
Both sides have expressed hope a deal can be done to make Wright a Met for life. The Mets were said willing to start at about $100 million.
Per the language in Wright’s contract, the Mets have until tomorrow to exercise his option for 2013.
Original Post 10/29
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, the Mets must exercise the $16 million dollar option on David Wright by Wednesday, and R.A. Dickey’s $5 million dollar option by Friday.
The Mets will most likely pick up both options in the next day or two.
Sandy Alderson always made it very clear that any extensions with either player would not have anything to do with the options which he said were “already locked into the 2013 payroll budget”.
That said, Joel Sherman of the New York Post spoke with 10 other team executives who said they believe David Wright and the Mets will eventually agree to a long-term contract extension, which they expect will be worth at seven-year, $127 million contract extension. That would make the total future commitment eight years and $143 million when you add in the 2013 option.
With the 2012 World Series now over, free agents will now begin to officially file with the league office. Teams will also have until Friday to exercise any team options for their players or they will automatically become free agents as well.
The Hot Stove season has officially begun.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
29 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/16/2013
- Brendan: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: The more I see the Mets hitting...
- RKH: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: Well this certainly is not good news....
- DrDooby: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: If the Mets were contending, then yes...
- DrDooby: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: From 1989 where things started to derail...
- Lareplus: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: Terry should have brought in Parnell. ....
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!