Rangers Hire Dave Magadan As Hitting Coach
The Texas Rangers have dismissed hitting coach Scott Coolbaugh and hired Dave Magadan away from the Boston Red Sox.
Magadan had been the Red Sox hitting coach for six years, beginning in 2007 when they won the World Series. The Red Sox, who are in the process of looking for a manager, held an option on Magadan for 2013. But with their manager’s position in a state of flux, they allowed Magadan to interview with other teams.
“We feel we’ve really stepped up as an organization by bringing in one of the best — if not the best — at what Dave does and that’s teaching hitting,” Daniels said. “When you talk to people who have been with him and been around him, people who work with him and players who have played for him, they all say the same things. He’s not a paint-by-numbers guy, he’s got an individual plan for each player within the team concept of helping us win ballgames. He’s been very successful at it.”
“It’s a hard spot to fill,” Daniels said. “We’re excited to find the right guy.”
Magadan spent 16 seasons in the Major Leagues with the Mets, Marlins, Mariners, Astros, Cubs and Athletics, finishing with a career .288 batting average and a .390 on-base percentage. He was the Padres hitting coach in 2003-06 before joining the Red Sox.
It’s a shame we decided to bring all our coaches back before getting to see what other coaches were even available. Magadan would have been a nice pick-up for the Mets and a reunion of sorts on top of that. Too bad…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
8 Comments + Add Comment
- Captain America: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: I think the SS comes from zona
- JimmyBX: on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: He's devising some grand scheme for making...
- Hotstreak: on Featured Post: Could Kemp Be The Finishing Touch To Powerful Mets Lineup?: FYI http://www.thegoodphight.com/2013/12/9/5192574/trade-rumors-phillies-actively-shopping-domonic-brown
- VinfromJersey: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Bien fait... El Sid !
- Hotstreak: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Don't kid yourself Wright and Grandy have...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!