Mets Notes: Ricciardi’s Contract Is Up, Trading Ike, Santana’s Value
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe had a few notes of interest on the Mets in his column this morning.
- Ike Davis, 1B, Mets: The big lefthanded power hitter, who is first-year arbitration-eligible, has often been linked to the Red Sox, though you’d have to ask why the Mets would deal him to Boston. Davis hit 32 homers with 90 RBIs but batted only .227. There definitely could be a fit with Tampa Bay, which could afford to give up a pitcher. Mets special assistant J.P. Ricciardi said he would be shocked to see any movement on Davis.
- Johan Santana, LHP, Mets: Who would take on a $25.5 million deal for a 33-year-old, broken-down lefty? Someone who needs a warrior, a tough-minded guy for a year’s commitment. The Mets will dangle him, but nobody (except maybe the Dodgers) will take on the entirety of the contract. He wouldn’t be a bad fit for the Red Sox, because he’d be a great mentor and example for Jon Lester and Felix Doubront. Santana hurt his ankle late in the year and made just 21 starts, but he feels good about himself. No problems with his shoulder.
- J.P. Ricciardi, special assistant to the GM, Mets: His contract is up, but he expects to return to the Mets. So far, Ricciardi said, no other organization has come knocking on his door to hire him as a GM or reasonable facsimile. He would like to return to the front office.
The Mets haven’t been as proficient at moving bad contracts as some of the other teams have, so I don’t see Santana or Jason Bay for that matter going anywhere.
I think it’s 50/50 Ike Davis can get traded, and I’m sure Ricciardi will be back in some capacity next season unless they want to cut costs in what is already one of the highest compensated front offices in the game.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
19 Comments + Add Comment
- Metsie: on Series Preview: Here Come The First Place Atlanta Braves: Top of the Division, Bottom of the...
- Padilla: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Its kind of amazing that all the...
- Metsie: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: It says take borderline pitches even if...
- Donal: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: Show me where it says wait until...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Show me where I stated I blame...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!