Arizona Acquires Heath Bell From Marlins, Oakland Gets Chris Young
The Oakland Athletics acquired outfielder Chris Young and cash considerations from the Diamondbacks for middle infielder Cliff Pennington along with minor-league shortstop Yordy Cabrera to Arizona.
Arizona then turned around and traded Cabrera to the Miami Marlins in exchange for relief pitcher Heath Bell and cash considerations. I’m assuming Miami will be paying more than half of Bell’s remaining contract.
Here’s the breakdown:
- Miami Receives: Single-A shortstop Yordy Cabrera from Oakland and $13 million worth of salary relief.
- Arizona Receives: RP Heath Bell and $8 million of the $21 million remaining on his contract from Miami, and shortstop Cliff Pennington from Oakland.
- Oakland Receives: OF Chris Young and $500K from Arizona.
Bell, 35, was signed by the Marlins last offseason to a three-year, $27 million deal, but had a disastrous 2012 season. He blew eight saves and had a 5.09 ERA and 1.56 WHIP. Bell wore out his welcome after several contentious incidents with manager Ozzie Guillen this season.
Pennington, 28, played in 125 games for the A’s. He had 93 appearances at shortstop but was shifted to second base in last August. A switch hitter, Pennington hit .215 last season, including .168 against left-handers, and had 28 RBIs.
Young, 29, played in only 101 games in 2012, batting .231 with 24 doubles, 14 home runs, 41 RBIs and eight stolen bases. He injured his right shoulder crashing into a wall while making a catch early this season and struggled at the plate after. A quadriceps injury in early September sent Young to the bench in favor of Eaton.
This could be a sign the A’s might try to move center fielder Coco Crisp, who signed a $14 million, two-year contract in January that includes a $7.5 million club option for 2014 with a $1 million buyout.
There was some talk this season that the Mets may have had interest in Chris Young, but that’s no longer a consideration now.
Looks like some teams are already on the move as the Hot Stove season gets underway before the World Series has even started.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
97 Comments + Add Comment
- jessep: on Nothing Is Imminent: The Story Of Us: Taco - To be fair, for starters...
- jessep: on Nothing Is Imminent: The Story Of Us: Could you supply me with a quote...
- TexasGusCC: on Nothing Is Imminent: The Story Of Us: Jessep, Sound question. I will explain: -We know...
- philipag: on Words to the Wilpons: We Beg Of You, Sell The Team: Agreed - I'm all for building the...
- Joe D: on Words to the Wilpons: We Beg Of You, Sell The Team: The "our money" approach would be valid...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!