Mets GM Sandy Alderson plans to give a state-of-the-team address to Mets beat writers before this afternoon’s final game of the season against the Marlins. Check back as we’ll have a full summary of the press event.
Original Post 10/2
Those team sources are talking to Adam Rubin at ESPN New York again. He says the Mets intend to keep payroll the same, turn over the roster mostly through trades, and nobody’s safe. That goes for you too Wright and Dickey…
Metsblog summarizes the gist of it as follows:
- No one on the roster is viewed as ‘untouchable.
- Ike Davis will only be traded if his production can be replaced.
- The Mets will not spend more on payroll next year than they did this year, a team official acknowledged.
- The Mets are open to signing free agents to backloaded deals.
- Mike Pelfrey and Andres Torres are likely to be non-tendered.
- Jon Rauch and Ramon Ramirez are not expected to be re-signed.
- The Mets would like to re-sign Ronny Cedeno and Scott Hairston. However, both will be free agents and might seek multi-year deals and/or starting jobs elsewhere.
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis is still viewed as a possible starter in center field.
- There is a possibility Chris Young is re-signed for 2013.
- The team would still like to acquire a veteran left-handed reliever, despite having Josh Edgin and Robert Carson.
My oh my, if payroll stays the same it’s the end of the road for some fan favorites… NYMets945 and Jessica are not gonna like this one bit. 😉
Well I asked for the plan, and we finally got one. I’m gonna sift through this and comment on it in the coming days… On the surface two words come to mind… Apocalypse Now.