Mets Minors: Organizational Leaders In Pitching
Earned Run Average
Ever since he was signed by the New York Mets as an International free agent in 2008 at the ripe old age of 17, Robles has done nothing, but impress every step of the way. Now in his fourth season as a pro, Robles has taken his performance to a whole other level as he continues to pick up some velocity on his fastball while refining his secondary pitches which includes a plus slider. The young right-hander didn’t just lead the Mets with his performance this season, he led all starting pitchers in the league in ERA and WHIP.
- Hansel Robles, Brooklyn, 1.11
- Gabriel Ynoa, Brooklyn, 2.23
- Tyler Pill, St. Lucie, 2.31
- Rafael Montero, St. Lucie, 2.36
- Jacob deGrom, St. Lucie, 2.43
- Luis Mateo, Brooklyn, 2.45
- Luis Cessa, Brooklyn, 2.49
- Rainy Lara, Brooklyn, 2.91
- Collin McHugh, Buffalo, 2.91
- Zack Wheeler, Buffalo, 3.26
I don’t know about you, but it looks like something good might be in the water in Brooklyn. Or it could be we should be taking a closer look at what pitching coach Marc Valdes has been up to this season. Or maybe these Cyclones pitchers have been flying under the radar and are as special as the numbers would indicate. It’s probably a combination of all those things.
- Hansel Robles, Brooklyn, 0.78
- Luis Mateo, Brooklyn, 0.90
- Gabe Ynoa, Brooklyn, 0.93
- Rafael Montero, St. Lucie, 0.94
- Rainy Lara, Brooklyn, 0.96
Wins dont really say a whole heck of a lot about a pitcher, but nevertheless here are the organizational leaders in wins this season.
- Zack Wheeler, Buffalo, 12
- Gonzalez Germen, Binghamton, 12
- Rafael Montero, St. Lucie, 11
- Cory Mazzoni, Binghamton, 10
- Jacob DeGrom, St. Lucie, 9
Fernando Cabrera, 30, isn’t really a prospect these days and unless he is re-signed he may not even be back next season. Despite leading the organization in saves, Cabrera had a very rough season overall and is the classic example of why you don’t look at saves to know how good a pitcher is, as his 4.10 ERA and a 1.544 WHIP will attest. Adam Kolarek and his 11.1 strikeout rate is the real guy to watch here.
- Fernando Cabrera, Buffalo, 22
- T.J. Chism, St. Lucie, 19
- Adam Kolarek, St. Lucie, 19
- Adrian Rosario, St. Lucie, 14
- Tyler Vanderheiden, Brooklyn, 12
Zack Wheeler may have had the most strikeouts, but honestly Matt Harvey would have topped this list had he not gotten called up. Harvey had a 9.2 K9 compared to Wheeler’s 8.2 this season. Matt Harvey also had a better walk rate and K/BB rate.
- Zack Wheeler, Buffalo, 148
- Collin McHugh, Buffalo, 135
- Jeurys Familia, Buffalo, 128
- Gonzalez Germen, Binghamton, 121
- Darin Gorski, Binghamton, 118
There you have it, the 2012 Mets Organizational Leaders in Pitching. In case you missed it, here are the Batting Leaders which I posted yesterday.
About the Author: Craig Lerner
I'm a data analyst and researcher for a leading news agency who loves life and is hooked on the Mets. I love following the Amateur Draft and have a particular fondness for the Mets Minor Leagues who I follow each day. Give me a cold beer, a summer day, and a Mets game, and I'm good to go.
1 Comment + Add Comment
- Sloatsburg Mets Fan: on With Hart and LoMo Off The Boards, Plot Thickens For First Base Market: Off topic Francesa reporting mets are finalizing 2...
- Von: on MMO Mailbag: Any Chance That Murphy Moves To First Base?: Mets signing Bartolo Colon for 2 years!
- TJ: on With Hart and LoMo Off The Boards, Plot Thickens For First Base Market: Joe D., I agree, THIS IS FUN. ...
- Mr. Belvedere: on MMO Mailbag: Any Chance That Murphy Moves To First Base?: I've been saying this for months...Murph and...
- Peter: on MMO Mailbag: Any Chance That Murphy Moves To First Base?: 1 year woukd have been better but...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!