MMO Farm Report: St. Lucie Drops FSL Playoff Opener, Clones Fail To Clinch And Need A Victory Tonight
Jupiter 3, St. Lucie 1
In the opening game of the FSL Divisional Championship Series, a game that took 5 hours and 25 minutes to complete after a three hour rain delay, the Jupiter Hammerheads defeated the St. Lucie Mets 9-1 at Roger Dean Stadium on Tuesday night.
St. Lucie starting pitcher Logan Verrett was actually solid in his five innings of work, allowing just one earned run in the first on three hits while fanning four and walking none. With the game tied at one apiece, the rains came and a tremendous pitching duel between Verrett and Marlins top pitching prospect, Jose Fernandez, came to an end.
Almost three hours later, and with the fate of both teams now resting in the hands of the bullpen, Jack Leathersitch kept the Hammerheads scoreless for two innings, letting up a couple of harmless hits and striking out one. But St. Lucie’s luck would run out when Adrian Rosario came on in the eight and couldn’t get an out, walking the first batter to face him and then watching him score two singles later. Hamilton Bennett came in to relieve Rosario, but the runner on third would score on a sac fly to give Jupiter the 3-1 lead.
Danny Muno, who went 2 for 4 drove in the only run of the game for St. Lucie who came up short and now return home to Digital Domain Park needing back-to-back wins to advance to FSL Champioship Series.
- Danny Muno – 2 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
- Darrel Ceciliani – 1 for 3, 1 walk, 1 caught stealing, 1 picked off
- Cesar Puello – 1 for 3, 1 triple, 1 run
- Logan Verrett – 5 IP, 3 hits allowed, 1 run, 0 walks, 4 strikeouts
- Jack Leathersich – 2 IP, 2 hits allowed, 0 walks, 1 strikeout.
Player Of The Game: Logan Verrett for yet another great outing since his promotion to Hi-A
Lowell 9, Brooklyn 1
Brooklyn took a 9-1 beating by the Lowell Spinners on Tuesday night as the Cyclones were outhit 13-6. The Cyclones’ magic number to clinch a playoff spot sits at one, meaning a win tonight or one loss by Batavia in their doubleheader puts the Cyclones in the playoffs for the fourth straight season.
Brooklyn starting pitcher Gabriel Ynoa suffered the loss after going 5.0 innings and allowing two runs (one earned) on four hits with no walks and five strikeouts. Matt Bowman and Beck Wheeler each threw 2.0 innings of relief. Bowman gave up four runs (three earned) on six hits, while Wheeler surrendered three earned runs on three hits. Wheeler struck out the side in the ninth.
The Cyclones had the bases loaded with nobody out in the bottom of the fifth, but grabbed only one run. Two walks sandwiched a Dimas Ponce single to put all three runners on base. Brandon Nimmo was then called out on strikes before Phillip Evans singled on a ground ball to center to score Juan Gamboa. Ponce also tried to come home on the play, but was thrown out at the plate for the second out. Then Jayce Boyd flied out to center, stranding Nelfi Zapata at second.
- Phillip Evans – 2 for 4, 1 RBI
- Juan Carlos Gamboa – 0 for 2, 2 walks, 1 run scored, 1 caught stealing (4th of the season)
- Dimas Ponce – 2 for 3, 1 strikeout
- Kevin Plawecki – 1 for 4
- Gabriel Ynoa – 5 IP, 4 hits, 1 run allowed, 0 walks, 5 strikeouts
Player Of The Game: Phillip Evans, continuing a strong campaign at Brooklyn.
About the Author: Sean Kenny
Sean Kenny is a student/writer currently attending school at the City College of New York. For more Mets news, notes and thoughts follow him on twitter @TheSeanKenny
1 Comment + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/18/2013
- RandomGuy: on The Future Is Here: Six Scoreless In Wheeler’s MLB Debut: Now, just throw down an epic trade...
- sarge69: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: Congrats to Wheeler & Harvey. Haven't been this...
- XtreemIcon: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: His issue has always been his defense....
- RandomGuy: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: Ok it just seemed like in your...
- RandomGuy: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: The only question is where do we...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!