Is It A Coincidence The Mets Picked Things Up After Francesa’s Tirade?
Do you think it is just a coincidence the Mets have picked things up following the verbal thrashing they took two weeks ago from Mike Francesa on WFAN? Mike sat there and stewed over the inept performance by the Mets on August 23rd in their loss, and completion of a four game sweep in Citi Field at the hands of the Rockies. He had to sit and wait because the Mets were on the WFAN, and he couldn’t go on the air until the game was over. That entire time he sat there fuming that he had to watch this “garbage”, as he called it.
I have listened to a lot of WFAN over the years, and I have never heard Mike go off like that before. He will get angry from time to time, and go off on the occasional caller. He will even rant about the Mets, Jets, and sports lockouts among other things.
Whoever listens to Mike knows that he can be really obnoxious at times, but he generally knows his stuff. He has a great sports mind, and more often than not he is right on the money when he discusses various topics.
What he did to the Mets on August 23rd was embarrassing. Not embarrassing because of what he said, but it was embarrassing because he was right on the money.
Think about it for a minute.
That rant went viral in this town, around baseball, and probably around the sports community in general.
Collins, the Mets coaches, Players, baseball executives, and the owners all had to have listened to it.
We may not know about it, but I started to wonder if Collins laid into the team following that thrashing.
Francesa said that Collins had lost the team, he had become just like Willie Randolph and Jerry Manuel, and was accepting of “this garbage”, and that the team had quit on him, themselves and the fans.
Since that fateful day the Mets are 9-5 in their 14 games. That may not seem like much, but for this team it marked a huge turnaround. Leading up to that time we were 11-28 since the break, 12-30 in our last 42 games, had lost 14of 16 at home, and following that four game sweep we had fallen to a season low 11 games under.
That now well known and epic monologue will go down as one of the most memorable ever on WFAN. I have to say it was pretty entertaining, and I for one could not help myself from laughing when I listened to it. I laughed because Mike was going absolutely insane, to the point where he was losing his breath and I thought we might lose him!
I don’t know what happened behind closed doors at Citi Field following Francesa’s verbal assault. But one thing I do know is that the team has played much better since. Is it a coincidence? Maybe so, but there is no denying we have seen a drastic change in effort, performance, and results in the win column.
Here are some of the comments Mike made during the tirade.
- “I would be afraid to show my face in public if I owned this team!”
- “Murphy and Thole are getting beat on 80 mph fastballs, you gotta be kidding me!”
- The Mets are 12-30 in their last 42 games. They are a bigger embarrassment than they were under Jerry Manuel!”
- “The Mets are trying to make you believe that Seaver and Koosman are around the corner, THEY’RE NOT!”
- “The Mets have lost 14 of their last 16 home games, they are AWFUL!!!”
- “If I were the manager I’d jump off the roof… Terry Collins has become accepting of this garbage!”
- “The eight people that were in attendance should get their money back!”
To hear the audio straight from the horses mouth, check out Joe D’s post from two weeks ago, click here.
About the Author: Dan Valis
I am a staff writer for Mets Merized Online. I am a Mets team analyst with a focus on the minor league system, as well as the major league club. I am a lifelong New Yorker who was born and raised to be a Mets fan. The ups and downs of being a Mets fan is what makes following this team so much fun, but at times so frustrating. You can follow me on Twitter @BgAppleMetsTalk.
63 Comments + Add Comment
- Social Network [x-MoBiLe] Nulled: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves...
- Alex68: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: And another thing, can we let the...
- Alex68: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: I can live with that... Only people...
- Alex68: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: And BTW, the kid's never had a...
- Alex68: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: So now Wheeler is Matt Harvey? Are...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!