Will Tejada and Murphy Be Our Middle Infield Combo Again In 2013?
Ruben Tejada ranks fourth in the majors with a .404 (19-for-47) batting average on Sundays (min. 40 at-bats).
Tejada has at least one hit in 15 of his last 16 games, and is hitting .352 (25-for-71) over these 16 games.
Tejada’s .321 batting average is the highest among all major league shortstops (min. 280 at-bats) and his .368 on-base percentage is the highest among all major league shortstops.
Daniel Murphy has the fourth-highest batting average (.360, 50-139) in the majors since June 27 (min. 128 plate appearances). He is tied for the most doubles (15) during that span.
The Mets second baseman has scored 19 runs, collected two triples, four home runs and driven in 21 runs RBI during that same 38 game span.
Overall, Murphy is tied for seventh in the majors with 33 doubles and his career-high was 38 doubles in 2010. He will undoubtedly smash his previous high.
Do you think we will open the 2013 season with Tejada and Murphy as our middle infield combination once again?
Do you agree that it’s the right way to go?
The way the front office loaded up on shortstops in the last two drafts, especially in 2012 with the top pick, it doesn’t seem they are as enamored with Ruben Tejada you might think. They completely overlooked a high-ceiling outfielder to grab Gavin Cecchini which seemed like an odd play considering the lack of quality depth at outfield - especially the power plus speed variety.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
21 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Hawk: on Mets vs Cubs: Davis Not In Lineup As Gee Looks For A Win In Rubber Match: About time we see Recker.
- Metsie: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: I actually agree with Sherman to a...
- Mark: on Mets vs Cubs: Davis Not In Lineup As Gee Looks For A Win In Rubber Match: I understand b/c a Lefty is pitching...
- Randy: on Mets vs Cubs: Davis Not In Lineup As Gee Looks For A Win In Rubber Match: Play Valdespin. We need a leadoff hitter....
- 86mets: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: The old saying goes "Win as a...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!