Red Sox and Dodgers Closing In On Blockbuster Deal For Beckett, Gonzalez, Crawford
Looks like the New York Mets acted just in time grabbing catcher Kelly Shoppach from the Red Sox when they did.
It now appears that the Dodgers are willing to take the leftovers in a nine-player blockbuster trade that have first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, outfielder Carl Crawford, infielder Nick Punto and starting pitcher Josh Becket going from the stormy Boston clubhouse to sunny Los Angeles in what might be one of the biggest waiver trades in MLB history if it goes down as is being reported.
The suddenly rich Dodgers are willing to assume most of the salary which is very considerable and the Red Sox will even get a few prospects out of the deal.
According to MLBTR here is what the four main principles are owed and keep in mind Becket has veto power::
- Gonzalez will earn $21MM per season through 2016 and obtain a raise to $21.5MM for 2017-18. The total exceeds $130MM when accounting for the remainder his 2012 salary.
- Beckett will earn $15.75MM per season through 2014. As noted above, he must approve any trade.
- Crawford will earn $20MM in 2013, $20.25MM in 2014, $20.5MM in 2015, $20.75MM in 2016 and $21MM in 2017. His contract allows him to block trades to two teams.
- Punto earns $1.5MM per season through 2013.
Now here’s something you won’t ever see happening in Flushing….
Nice job by the Red Sox who don’t beat around the bush and in one loud statement say they are rebuilding and being refreshingly honest about it. That’s how you do it, you clean house all the way, not one piece at a time over three to four years. No taking three years to assess, just do it.
Nice job by the Dodgers who in one bold move say we are not broke, and we are playing to win a championship right now – today. Big statement to their fan base here. No mincing words or playing word games like they do in Queens. Ballsy moves, much like the Nationals the last two seasons…
Two teams who know what the plan is, are not afraid to take risks, and whose actions speak louder than words.
One of us will update this once they figure out the final details…
Deals like this are always pretty exciting to see unfold…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
52 Comments + Add Comment
- Gonzo69: on MMO Fan Shot: Granderson Is In The House… What’s Next?: to = Two
- Just Some Internet Guy You Dont Know: on Hot Stove News: Marlins and Garrett Jones Agree On Two-Year, $7.5 Million Deal: Garrett Jones would have been my buy...
- Sloatsburg Mets Fan: on MMO Fan Shot: Granderson Is In The House… What’s Next?: I like Aybar. I would rather explore...
- Gonzo69: on MMO Fan Shot: Granderson Is In The House… What’s Next?: Guess Ike gets a pass for that...
- Just Some Internet Guy You Dont Know: on Curtis Granderson Agrees To Four Year, $60 Million Deal With Mets: I read a comment that OWNERSHIP pushed...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!