Mets Lower Minors: Vaughn Keeps Hitting, Tapia K’s 9, Ponce Key In Victory
Jupiter 5, St. Lucie 4
Jupiter 4, St. Lucie 2
St. Lucie’s bullpen coughed up the first game, and Angel Cuan was smacked around for the second time in a row in the doubleheader losses to the Hammerheads
- Cory Vaughn – 3 for 6, 1 home run, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored, 1 walk, 21st steal of the season
- Aderlin Rodriguez – 2 for 3
- Travis Taijeron – 2 for 3, average still sitting at .197
- Erik Goeddel – 5.1 IP, 5 hits allowed, 3 runs allowed(1 run earned), 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
- Angel Cuan – 0.2 IP, 3 hits, 4 runs allowed, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Player Of The Game: : Cory Vaughn. While not hitting for a high average, has 23 homers on the season to go along with 21 stolen bases. Every number but batting average is a significant improvement from his 2011 season.
Asheville 6, Savannah 5
Domingo Tapia had a rough outing, and the offense couldn’t come to his aid enough in their 6-5 loss
- Cam Maron – 2 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 walk.
- Gilbert Gomez – 2 for 4, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 1 stolen base, 2 strikeouts. Good season for the 22-year old OF, but RAW isn’t the word.
- Dustin Lawley – 2 for 4, solo-home run
- Domingo Tapia – 6.1 IP, 7 hits allowed, 5 runs, 0 walks, 9 strikeouts. Even when Tapia gets hit hard – he still strikes out the batters in bunches. Trouble came in the late innings, so fatigue could’ve been an issue.
- Craig Hansen – 1 IP, 0 hits allowed, 2 walks. Hansen continues to struggle with control in his rehab, but has MLB stuff. Will be interesting to see his role in September
Player Of The Game: Cam Maron. Hitting, hitting, hitting his way into a 2013 call-up? If only he can throw some runners out it’ll sound like a great idea.
Brooklyn 6, Aberdeen 3
The Cyclones pitching was great, and a strong five innings from the bullpen ensured the Cyclones could win in late innings, 6-3
- Dimas Ponce – 2 for 5, 3 RBI, 1 run scored.
- Brandon Nimmo – 1 for 5, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts, 1 CS. Nimmo does a few things well – draw walks, field – but the strikeouts will have to come down for his value to be maximized
- Jayce Boyd – 2 for 5, solo home-run, 1 walk
- Matt Bowman – 4 IP, 2 hits allowed, 2 strikeouts
- John Mincone – 1 IP, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts. Mincone looks better and better with each outing
Player Of The Game: Dimas Ponce for his 3-RBI day.
Pulaski 5, Kingsport 2
The K.Port pitching staff struggled today in their 5-2 loss.
- Jeyckol De Leon – 2 for 4, 1 double, 1 strikeout 1 error (13 on the season)
- Branden Kaupe – 0 for 2, 3 walks, 2 errors (14 on season)
- Gavin Cecchini – 1 for 5, 1 run scored
- Alberto Baldanado – 3 IP, 3 hits, 2 runs scored, 4 walks, 4 strikeouts
- Juan Urbina – 2 IP, 4 hits, 2 runs allowed, 2 strikeouts. Urbina is only 19, but his ability to miss bats or control his pitches keeps looking less and less promising.
Player Of The Game: Jeffrey Diehl, for his 2-RBI day.
About the Author: Sean Kenny
Sean Kenny is a student/writer currently attending school at the City College of New York. For more Mets news, notes and thoughts follow him on twitter @TheSeanKenny
1 Comment + Add Comment
- Sims: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: And I stand by my prior response...
- Ojeda's Perm: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: "A team source." "A high ranking club official" This...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Mets Have Opportunity To Soar To New Heights: LOL! You know for a FACT he...
- Metsie: on The 2013 Mets Are Suffering From A Lack Of Accountability: Quite a few and none of them...
- Metsie: on The 2013 Mets Are Suffering From A Lack Of Accountability: They also know if they have a...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!