Mets Lower Minors: Cyclones Wild Card Lead Drops To One Game, deGrom Solid In St. Lucie Win
St. Lucie 5, Bradenton 1
Jacob deGrom continued on his strong season and the Mets were off and running on the basepaths in their 5-1 win. deGrom pitched six effective innings and struck out six to improve to 3-0 in the Florida State League. He allowed one run and five hits while issuing two walks. Hamilton Bennett tossed two scoreless innings and struck out one. Adrian Rosario pitched a scoreless ninth. Travis Taijeron’s solo homer in the fifth tied the score.Danny Muno’s RBI groundout gave the Mets a 2-1 advantage in the fifth. Robbie Shieldsadded an RBI to extend the lead. T.J. Rivera went 3-for-4 with a run scored. Darrell Ceciliani finished 1-for-3 with an RBI single. Aderlin Rodriguez had a hit and drove in a run.
- T.J. Rivera – 3 for 4, 1 run scored, 1 stolen base (7th on the season)
- Aderlin Rodriguez – 1 for 4, 12th error of the season
- Cesar Puello – 1 for 4, 1 stolen base (18th on season)
- Travis Taijeron – 1 for 3, solo-home run, 2 runs scored. Finally hitting over .200!
- Jacob deGrom – 6 IP, 5 hits allowed, 1 run, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts
Player Of The Game: Jacob DeGrom, for putting up solid numbers across Lo-A & Hi-A, setting himself up for a rotation spot in Binghamton in 2013
Asheville 6, Savannah 2
Yohan Almonte was overpowered for the second time in three Lo-A starts, and the Gnats lost 6-2
- Gilbert Gomez – 1 for 4, 2-run homer. When the kid connects and puts it all together, he is good.
- Gregory Pron – 2 for 4, 1 strikeout
- Cole Frenzel – 0 for 3, 1 strikeout
- Cam Maron – 0 for 4, 1 strikeout
- Yohan Almonte – 5 IP, 7 hits allowed, 6 runs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Player Of The Game: Gilbert Gomez, positioning himself in a position to claim the possible promotion spot of Cory Vaughn on the S.Mets roster
Hudson Valley 3, Brooklyn 1
The Cyclones fell 3-1 to the Hudson Valley Renegades on Thursday night. Brooklyn and Auburn each lost with Batavia winning, meaning that the three teams are separated by just 1.0 game for two playoff spots with six games remaining.
Paul Sewald surrendered a tie-breaking two-run homer in the ninth to Leonardo Reginatto. The Cyclones had been first on the board, scoring a run in the first. Richie Rodriguez and Maikis De La Cruz hit back-to-back singles before Brandon Nimmo grounded into a forceout. Rodriguez came home on the play to make it 1-0. The Renegades tied the score in the fourth. After throwing three perfect innings, Brooklyn starter Luis Mateo hit Joey Rickard with a pitch. He advanced to second on a groundout. With Ryan Dunn batting, a passed ball by Nelfi Zapata then allowed Rickard to move to third. Mateo walked Dunn and surrendered a run-scoring single to Justin O’Conner. Mateo ultimately surrendered one earned run on four hits with one walk and eight strikeouts, including striking out the side in the sixth. Sewald entered to pitch the eighth with the score tied at 1. He gave up a double, followed by a single to put the go-ahead run on third base. But Sewald escaped that jam when he got Shaffer to ground into an inning-ending double play.
- Phillip Evans – 2 for 4, 1 walk
- Brandon Nimmo – 0 for 4, 1 RBI
- Kevin Plawecki – 0 for 3, 1 walk
- Luis Mateo – 7 IP, 4 hits allowed, 1 run, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
- Paul Sewald – 2 IP, 4 hits allowed, 2 runs, 0 walks, 3 strikeouts
Player Of The Game: Luis Mateo. Top-notch stuff, despite the advanced age. Should be looking forward to a 2013 season in the Gnats rotation.
About the Author: Former Writers
1 Comment + Add Comment
- ElSid1986: on Nothing Is Imminent: The Story Of Us: Hey Joe D, I appreciate you quoting...
- Alan from AZ: on Despite Stark Differences Between Yankees and Mets, Alderson Needs To Save Face: Good to see that you are telling...
- Alex68: on Mets Drawing The Line At Three Years, Granderson Wants Four: CG costs money AND a draft pick,...
- Captain America: on Mets Drawing The Line At Three Years, Granderson Wants Four: Why would Carlos sign with the Mets?
- Tacohow: on Hot Stove: M’s Offer Cano $240 Million, Red Sox Sign RHP Edward Mujica: The mariners are trying We are not
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!