Mets Get Just One Shot This Offseason To Sign Wright

An article by posted on August 14, 2012

While speaking with reporters, which you can read here in the New York Post, Mets third baseman emphasized that whether or not he re-signs with the Mets will be based on winning a World Series and not as much by money.

“The money issue for me, I don’t think that will be the deciding factor,” said Wright, who is batting .325 with 16 homers and 75 RBIs and .416 on-base percentage in the final guaranteed season of his six-year contract worth $55 million.

“You want to be able to win, and I’ve only experienced a little bit of that here,” Wright said. “In a perfect world, we get this thing turned around and going in the right direction and ultimately I get to experience the bad, the ugly and the good here, which includes winning.”

When asked about whether he’s seen enough so far that the Mets are moving in the right direction as far as winning, he referred to it as “a baby step”.

Finally, because of Wright’s firm stance of not dealing or negotiating during the season, a stance that was also taken by Jose Reyes, the Mets have just a four-month window this offseason of exclusive negotiating rights with Wright.

“I told these guys we’re not going to discuss it during the season, either this one or next, so I guess that’s a fair assumption,” Wright said. “If we’re not going to talk about it during this season or next season, then I guess the timing would be during this offseason.”

This all sounds so eerily familiar….

About the Author ()

Comments are closed.