Josh Edgin Is Fearless
Josh Edgin has not allowed a run in his last eight outings, spanning 7.1 innings. Overall, he has racked up 18 strikeouts in 10.0 innings of work and left-handed hitters are 4-23 (.174) with 12 strikeouts against him.
On Monday night, Edgin earned his first major league victory, bit in my opinion he’s earned much more than that. He’s quickly become one of the most reliable arms in our bullpen and has shown remarkable poise, especially for a rookie who was desperately called upon to salvage a bullpen that the front office opted against bolstering with outside help.
Mark Simon of ESPN wrote yesterday that in addition to his 95 mph heater, Edgin a nasty slider that breaks down and away.
Edgin has been very efficient in putting lefties away with that pitch in two-strike counts. He’s thrown it 10 times to a lefties and gotten seven strikeouts and a flyout.
A stat that could bode well over time is that Edgin is able to get right-handed hitters to hit the ball on the ground. Of the 10 balls hit by righties, seven were ground balls.
When you consider the pressure Edgin had placed on him from the organization to step in and stop the bleeding, it actually showed me what a tough son of a gun this kid is. He’s a tiger on the mound and takes each call from the bullpen seriously. He pitches without that deer in the headlights look we come to expect from Mets relievers this season. Josh Edgin is fearless. It’s been a while since I could say that about any Mets reliever. It’s been a very long while.
Going into 2013, Edgin is the one sure thing we;ll have in our bullpen as the front office will try and revamp it this offseason once again. Maybe the third time’s a charm.
Josh Edgin’s 2012 Highlights
- Made his major league debut on July 13 at Atlanta, throwing 1.1 innings with three strikeouts including stranding the bases loaded in the fifth inning with two strikeouts.
- He earned his first major league hold the next day on July 14 in a 8-7 loss at Atlanta, when he struck out three of four batters he faced.
- Earned first major league win on July 30 in an 8-7 victory at San Francisco.
- Edgin is unscored upon in nine of his last 10 outings (8.2 innings pitched). Has struck out 18 over 10.0 innings, including 12 of the 23 left-handed batters he has faced. He has struck out three in four of his 11 appearances.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
26 Comments + Add Comment
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on The Beat Goes On: Reporters Weigh In On Amazins’: "True New Yorkers Are Mets Fans" and "True...
- Magic_Loogie: on The Beat Goes On: Reporters Weigh In On Amazins’: I love how Jeff consistently throws Sandy...
- METS62FAN: on MMO Fan Shot: Could Kemp Be The Finishing Touch To Powerful Mets Lineup?: JAMES, TOO MUCH INHALE NOT ENOUGH EXHALE...
- Ray Sadecki: on The Beat Goes On: Reporters Weigh In On Amazins’: Atl least this year nobody can accuse...
- ElSid1986: on The Beat Goes On: Reporters Weigh In On Amazins’: Hawk, They don't have the money to...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!