Street Is Open To Mets Trade, Will Patch Things Up With Geren
Yesterday, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported that the Mets might look to acquire a veteran reliever or two, and possibly a veteran catcher before the July 31 trade deadline, “since they owe it to manager Terry Collins and the players.”
This morning he writes that Huston Street would have no problem joining the Mets and reuniting with Bob Geren.
Street, the Padres’ All-Star closer, went so far as to say the Mets’ bench coach is a “good man,” and even partly blamed himself for their obvious differences when the two were together with the Oakland A’s, differences that led Street to once tell the San Francisco Chronicle that Geren, who managed Street in Oakland, is “my least favorite person I have ever encountered in sports from age 6 to 27.”
Street has read the reports that he’s one of many veteran relievers the Mets are considering to shore up their bullpen, and if the Mets do get Street, Street said he would approach Geren to talk it out. Or as he put it, “If I get to the Mets, that’ll be the first bug I go squash.”
Street is ready to shake Geren’s hand, and work it out. “If I were to get traded to the Mets, it would be up to me to handle it and be professional,” Street said. “I play hard for my teammates, and he’d be my teammate again.”
I’m pretty sure that Street is probably the least appealing relief option for the Mets anyway because he’s too rich for Alderson’s taste.
As I said last week, aim much lower.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
44 Comments + Add Comment
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Why shouldnt I look at it that...
- TJ: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: TL, Agreed. This is career threatening for...
- Connor O'Brien: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Don't see it as seber vs traditional...
- TJ: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Sylow, Yes, you are 100% correct. Everyone...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: I think the equal sign(=) on their...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!