Reasons Why R.A. Dickey Should Start All-Star Game
There are numerous reasons why R.A. Dickey should start Tuesday’s All-Star Game in Kansas City, so it’s hard to understand Tony La Russa not naming him for the honor. He knows the rotation schedule of the other candidates, so what’s he waiting for? If he wants to screw with New York area fans, he’d start A.J. Burnett (9-2), right?
Here’s some of the reasons why he should start:
1. At 12-1 with a 2.40 ERA, he has the best record of any NL starter. Washington’s Gio Gonzalez (11-3), St. Louis’ Lance Lynn (11-4) – the obvious choice if La Russa was playing favorites – Philadelphia’s Cole Hamels (10-4) and San Francisco’s Matt Cain (9-3 and a no-hitter) are having the best seasons for a starter. But, Dickey’s recent run is of historic proportions. His recent ten-game winning streak is reminiscent of pitchers like Sandy Koufax, Tom Seaver and Bob Gibson.
2. La Russa’s worry about not having a catcher familiar with catching a knuckleball has some merit, but I’m not completely buying it. If he’s worried about a wild pitch or passed ball costing a run, wouldn’t it be better for that to happen in the first or second innings and not late in the game?
3. Dickey is clearly the pitching curiosity of the first half, in either league. Give the fans what they want. Isn’t that what the game is supposed to be about?
There’s not guarantee of how well Dickey will pitch Tuesday. Recent starts against the Yankees and Phillies have not been good, but he’s always long on guts and his story is both inspiring personable.
He’ll only be in for an inning or two, but it should be the first two.
About the Author: John Delcos
I am an active member of the BBWAA and have covered Major League Baseball in several capacities for over 20 years, including ten in New York working the Mets' and Yankees' beat. I covered the Baltimore Orioles for eight years and the Cleveland Indians before that. I currently serve as an editor and senior staff writer for Mets Merized Online. Follow me on Twitter @jdelcos.
3 Comments + Add Comment
- cheap christian louboutin uk impact for your age group - abraham0225's Blog - Blogster: on Mets Minors Report 5/22: Alderson Says Wheeler Could Get Promoted After 2-3 Good Starts: Mets Minors Report 5/22: Alderson Says Wheeler...
- allen wan: on MLB Scout On Davis: Would Have Been Better Served Going To Minors Last Season: I don't understand why people care whether...
- DrDooby: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: Harvey has improved by leaps & bounds...
- Hotstreak: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: oops Here is the link. http://rainierscurto.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/baseball-for-breakfast/
- Hotstreak: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: Hi Joey D. This is 2007-2009 data PCL...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!