With Torreabla And Shoppach Available, Should Mets Take A Flier?
Kelly Shoppach would be a great addition to the Mets as he bats right handed with some power, which is something we could really use from our backstops. His best season came with Cleveland where he hit 21 home runs back in 2008. After he left the Indians he struggled for a few seasons with Tampa Bay, but appears to have rebounded with the Red Sox this season.
Shoppach, 32, is a free agent to be and is making just $1.3 million this season and could be a very affordable option for the Mets in 2013. He could also be good enough offensively to supplant Thole as the starter, so if we could acquire him on the cheap, it may be worth a shot.
In 2012 Shoppach is batting .261 with five home runs, 15 RBI, and 11 doubles in just 119 at-bats.
Torrealba, 34, is a veteran catcher with a some pop. He bats right handed, is a good defensive catcher and is a better overall hitter than Mike Nickeas or Rob Johnson. He is young enough to be re-signed and be an effective back up or platoon option with Thole against lefties in 2013.
He will be a free agent after the season and could be a bargain for the Mets who are sorely in need of an adequate right handed catching option. Torrealba has never been known for his offense, but his veteran leadership could be very useful with the influx of young pitching set to hit the rotation over the next few seasons.
In 2012 Torrealba is batting .236 with three home runs, 12 RBI and eight doubles in 161 at-bats.
About the Author: Dan Valis
I am a staff writer for Mets Merized Online. I am a Mets team analyst with a focus on the minor league system, as well as the major league club. I am a lifelong New Yorker who was born and raised to be a Mets fan. The ups and downs of being a Mets fan is what makes following this team so much fun, but at times so frustrating. You can follow me on Twitter @BgAppleMetsTalk.
9 Comments + Add Comment
- allen wan: on MLB Scout On Davis: Would Have Been Better Served Going To Minors Last Season: I don't understand why people care whether...
- DrDooby: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: Harvey has improved by leaps & bounds...
- Hotstreak: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: oops Here is the link. http://rainierscurto.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/baseball-for-breakfast/
- Hotstreak: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: Hi Joey D. This is 2007-2009 data PCL...
- Heybatter: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: Don't think they give out cortisone shots...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!