Mets Will Be Buyers At Deadline, Eyeing Jonathan Broxton
Sandy Alderson told reporters today that the Mets will be buyers at the July 31 trade deadline.
Alderson said that while he does not intend to acquire a starting pitcher this month, but that he is focused on improving the bullpen as his number one priority. To a lesser degree, the Mets GM said he’ll be looking to add a right-handed bat to the team..
Alderson was also a guest on WFAN today and said that he is not close to making any trades at the moment, but believes that things will accelerate on that front as we get closer to the deadline.
He reiterated that the team is in a position to take on additional salary and increase payroll. However, he has no interest in trading away a player who might help the team in 2013 or 2014.
A major league source told Adam Rubin of ESPN, that “one reliever the Mets are paying close attention to is Kansas City closer Jonathan Broxton.”
Broxton, 28, is 1-1 with a 2.14 ERA and 22 saves in 33 appearances with Kansas City. He is making $4 million this season.
The Mets have kicked the tires on Broxton before, but maybe this time they’ll be a bit more serious in their pursuit.
Broxton has overcome arm woes and is having himself a solid season and would certainly improve a bullpen that is still among the worst in baseball. (that was for you, Jessep, lol)
Finally, put this in your “Believe It Or Not” files…
According to Buster Olney, the Marlins have let opposing teams know they may be sellers at the deadline if they don’t turn their season around, Olney reports that Giancarlo Stanton, Josh Johnson and Omar Infante could all be dealt.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
36 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Reed: on Mets vs Cubs: Hefner Looks To Extend Amazins’ Win Streak To Three: Tejada's lucky he's a shortstop. Too bad...
- Major Mofongo: on Mets vs Cubs: Hefner Looks To Extend Amazins’ Win Streak To Three: the avg OBP of a leadoff hitter...
- Wheeler's Inverted W: on Mets Appealing Harvey Earned Run, Want Tejada Charged With Error: Poor Ruben Tejada, nobody cares about him....
- Scott Rice's Arm: on Mets vs Cubs: Hefner Looks To Extend Amazins’ Win Streak To Three: Terry Collins thinks I'm an every day...
- Major Mofongo: on Internal Discussions Of Ike Davis Demotion ‘Intensifying’: Olerud was everything Keith Hernandez was, minus...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!