Mets Ranked At 49 On Forbes’ Most Valuable Sports Franchises
Forbes released their annual top 50 Most Valuable Professional Sports Franchises today, with the Mets barely making the cut at 49th, the sixth highest baseball team behind the New York Yankees, LA Dodgers, Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs and Philadelphia Phillies. The Texas Rangers also barely made the list at 50th.
Valuing the franchise at a cool $719 million, that is a huge step up from this past winter in which Forbes put the New York Mets at just $225 million with the Madoff lawsuit looming overhead. Now with the team not only out from that potential financial disaster, but in the thick of things in the NL pennant race and the franchises no-hitter, more fans are coming to the park and acting as a contributing factor in the tremendous boost in the club’s overall value.
Manchester United led all of sports, valued at $2.23 billion. What was even more surprising however was the fact that all 32 NFL teams made the list, showing just how much of a cash cow the National Football League is. MLB had seven teams with of course the Yankees leading at an estimated value of $1.85 billion.
These rankings and value estimations don’t mean a whole lot, but a positive sign financially for the Amazin’s.
About the Author: Clayton Collier
Clayton, a Long Island native and die-hard Mets fan, started writing online about three years ago. He is currently a Journalism major with a minor in Broadcasting at Seton Hall University. Although very disappointed with the current state of the team, Clayton remains hopeful that the young prospects in the farm system will bring the Mets back to a respected franchise in baseball once again. Besides writing for MMO, Clayton is also a staff member at 89.5 WSOU, Seton Hall's modern active rock radio station. You can contact Clayton by following him on Twitter: @Clayton_Collier or E-mailing him at MaybeNextYearMets@yahoo.com
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/16/2013
- Brendan: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: The more I see the Mets hitting...
- RKH: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: Well this certainly is not good news....
- DrDooby: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: If the Mets were contending, then yes...
- DrDooby: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: From 1989 where things started to derail...
- Lareplus: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: Terry should have brought in Parnell. ....
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!